Sunday, September 27, 2015

A hybrid...


I have been trying to make my bed in the afternoon, because going bed with a made bed is more cheering than walking into a disaster zone of a bedroom.  It is my compromise because I feel so wretched when I first get up that I have not the wherewithal to make the bed.

This early afternoon, I took a shower and then stripped the bed and put on clean sheets. Doing so will force me to give Amos his bath today ... to not put it off any longer, no matter how I feel.  I do not plan to do laundry, though, until Tuesday.  Why?  Because I just might have a second cooking cloth to wash on Tuesday.

Why?
I made my hybrid!




Yes!  It is possible to make a blue corn flour tortilla that is a culinary success!

I very much dislike regular corn tortillas.  I find them dense and a bit gummy.  ICK!  I simply do not eat them.  I wanted to incorporate blue cornmeal to have the protein and health advantage to a flour tortilla, but still essentially have the experience of a soft, fluffy flour tortilla.  It worked!!!

For the Blue Corn Tortillas recipe, as I wrote in the notes, I decided to use the 3/4 to 1 cup ratio, but to add the missing 1/4 cup as additional flour. I also increased the baking powder.  And I used some flavoring that I found whilst Googling millions of corn tortilla recipes.

The end result was a soft, fluffy tortilla that is slightly denser and tastes of corn.  As I was eating the tacos, pictured above, I noticed that the tortillas cracked where I folded them, so I had to hold them a bit more carefully.  However, I am very, very, very pleased with the results.  I had the experience of a flour tortilla that has a bit of the healthiness of a corn tortilla.  And, in case I have not mentioned this before, blue corn has higher protein than yellow corn, which is why I am focused on experimenting with blue cornmeal.

The key to success, the proving of it (baking pun intended) will be if the dough balls freeze as well as the flour tortillas do.  So, following the advice of my best friend, I shall have a Taco Tuesday this week.  If the dough freezes well, I will make a full batch of the Blue Corn Flour Tortillas.  My fingers are currently crossed!

No comments: