Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Embattled...


I like to be a good host.  I'm Texan, after all, and we in the South know the importance of making your guests feel comfortable (even if I maintain an arctic temperature in my abode).  So, for example, it is not enough to buy a small package of Peppermint Patties for your guest who love them, but you ought to buy a ginormous bag of them so that even after a week of visiting, there are copious Peppermint Patties to travel back home with your visitor.

However.
I shall NEVER have a garden tomato in my house again!
No matter how much I wish to honor a guest!

One month later, I am STILL battling fruit flies.  I have no fruit in my house.  No crumbs on my counter.  No bits of food in my sink.  And STILL fruit flies are HARANGUING me!  The PLAGUE of my existence!

My latest plan of attack has been constant use of Chlorox bleach spray on the sink, where the fruit flies seem to arise out of the drain.  Yes, I have SCOURED the disposal baffle.  Yes, I have FILLED the drain with bleach.  My hope is that if the fruit flies are reproducing on bleach then I might compromise their genetic code, leading to their ultimate demise.  So far, I have yet to damage their genes.  SIGH.

Today, I discovered that I had chosen socks that matched my pants and hoodie.  Being the daughter of an Interior Designer, I do find solace in matching.  Then, I put on my frog ring to make three phone calls.  I was cheered immediately, seeing the frog perched on my finger.  I was able to reschedule one appointment, make a second appointment, and get a refund for two ... false ... charges on my credit card.  At least, I hope the refund actually was initiated.  I will need to check my credit card account in a few days.

If you are wondering what constitutes STINKING HOT, I will note that last night, it was still 70 degrees outside at Midnight ... and very, very, very steamy.  Today was also STINKING HOT, but just two more days should see a return to cooler weather.

Could the unseasonable STINKING HOT and STEAMY weather be why I am embattled with the fruit flies?  I am ready to call an exterminator ... except for the fact that that would eat up every penny of the remaining money for this budget cycle.  One of the little buggers caught a ride on my hoodie the other day and is now ensconced in my bathroom.

ARGH!

4 comments:

From Stamford to Stafford said...

Place a small glass filled with apple cider vinegar (add a drop of liquid dish soap) on your counter. Within a couple of days, your problem should be solved. This method has always worked extremely well for me. You will be amazed how many you will catch in there. I know how frustrating battling these little guys can be!

Myrtle said...

Thank you for the tip! I had just discovered that advice, though I used red wine vinegar. It is CREEPING ME OUT to see so many fruit flies being drowned in there. It is a small bowl, so I keep emptying it and adding more vinegar.

From Stamford to Stafford said...

You're most welcome! So happy to hear the red wine vinegar is working for you. Amazing, how many wind up in there, isn't it? Wishing you a wonderful evening.

Myrtle said...

I am on my SIXTH bowl of vinegar, each of the ones before it having more fruit flies. I am wigging out! I am hoping that, with the removal of the rotted potato, eventually I will get to the end of them. And soon!