Saturday, September 26, 2015

Blue thoughts...


"Boneless, skinless, all-white meat wings" ...  I'm sorry, Sonic, but your commercial is wrong.  Those are nuggets not wings.  Wings are a specific part of the chicken that must have bones and dark meat.  Unless ... have you genetically modified your chickens????

Sometimes, commercials irk me.  Clearly.




Last night, I made Blue Cornmeal Muffins.  I made the traditional recipe, using the lower amount of sugar.  Next time, I would like to make them sweet cornbread.  I found them to be interesting, as the cornmeal I bought is medium grind.  So, they are sort of crunchy.  Today, I had one with the Chicken Chipotle Chili and found the combination to be tasty.

Today, I, using the NutriBullet, I milled some of the cornmeal so that it was finely ground. [I utterly adore the NutriBullet!]  I did so because I wanted to try making blue corn tortillas, but I chickened out.  I cannot find a recipe for blue corn tortillas that looks doable and my thoughts of replacing cornmeal for flour in my flour tortilla recipe do not actually seem theoretically sound.  Although ... this blog post does show that substitution is possible and offers a specific ratio to follow.  The bottom line is that I know zilch about cooking with cornmeal and am, thus, highly culinarily nervous.




This is what my mason jar drawer looks like when I spend a month eating down on the freezer meals without regularly cooking to replace them.  While I have essentially achieved my severe austerity goal, I do have a severe crowding problem in my drawer!

Even though my budget cycle starts tomorrow, I am going to wait to shop until after my appointment on Monday.  Getting dressed and going out and walking about two days in a row would be too much for me.

Mostly, today I have been napping.  I did get the dishwasher emptied and the rest of the hand-wash dishes cleaned.  Amos is in dire need of a bath (and the sheets cleaned), but I have primarily spent my awake moments Googling for blue cornmeal recipes.  I want to learn more ways to use it!  Flapjacks, though??? I am just not interested in those.

Actually, what is a flapjack?
Wait, let me Google.
Okay ... I prefer the British version ... either plain or fancy ... no cornmeal though.

I will admit that I found eating blue muffins a bit weird.  Even so, I ate two of them, just to be sure I liked them.  With butter, of course.


PS  I am now an ardent fan of Pam's happy baking spray.  Each time I have used it, such as with the red velvet brownie mix Thursday night and with the blue cornmeal muffins, the baked goods have practically leapt out of the pan and clean-up was a breeze.  Had this been around a few decades ago, I might have grown up to be a baker ... or weight about 500 lbs now.

2 comments:

gbkulp said...

Is there GREEN corn, too? Or ORANGE?

Myrtle said...

Sadly, no. But wouldn't that be cool!!