Saturday, October 17, 2015

Annoyed...


My heat is not coming on.

The HVAC unit is four years old and should be just fine.  That's what buying a new unit is for ... lower costs and no worries.  Four times now, the coils have frozen over.  As a "fix" for this, since nothing appears wrong, is to keep the freon a pound heavier than it would normally have.  That has mostly worked.  The heat, however, has not yet had a problem.  Until now.  Now ... nothing.  It is 51 degrees in my house.  Saturday.  And no hope of getting Electrician Man out here until next week some time.  SIGH.

I am rather annoyed.

Of course, with my house repair fund, I do have some money accumulated to address whatever is wrong.  Since my switch early their year to adding a small monthly amount for the house, too, I now have $119.16 in savings and interests.  The perverse part of me, however, objects to the fact that the those funds are for old things in my house, such as the dryer.  All the appliances and mechanicals are new since moving here.  Therefore, in my mind, none of those things should be in need of repair.  I guess I am being a petulant homeowner.  SIGH.




I did have my first fire last night.  The first one of the season is always more difficult than the rest to keep lit because of the lack of an ash bed.  If I owned an ash bucket, I would keep ash from the previous year, but during the spring and summer, I have to keep the fireplace clean because sometimes a bit of rain comes down the chimney.  The way I see it, I don't need to worry about the interior of the chimney because by the fall, there is a pile of black ... stuff ... that's been washed down by rain.  I have asked Firewood Man to put a cap on the chimney, but he really, really, really hates heights.  I think doing so is the last thing on his Myrtle List.  I do not mind.

Right now, I am huddled beneath five blankets with Amos, only my arms peaking out to peck on the keyboard for a short while so that I can do a bit of homeowner rant.  I might build a fire later, but I do feel the need for a nap ... or two ... or three.  We have both already had supper, so we can snooze away the evening.

I am still exhausted.

I did, however, bring the porch plants inside.  Two of them need repotting, so they are still sitting on the deacon's bench.  The rest are watered and are in the solarium, save for the hanging baskets.




Here they are ... before and after.  This will be the third time this summer (plus a month or so) that I had to lop off the long locks of my Wandering Jews.  The one on the left, obviously, has had its trim job.  The one on the right came next, but I wanted to get a comparison shot.

Two of the giant spotted begonias need to be repotted.  What I think I will do with both is prune them back to a smaller size when I do so.  I had thought to do them today, but schlepping everything inside and most upstairs was enough labor for me this day.  And, honestly, that is why I have yet to light a fire.  I am not really up to schlepping wood at the moment.  I am thankful, though, that the plants are all safely inside.

Tomorrow, my goal is to disconnect both hoses for the winter.

Meanwhile, I shall snuggled with my Fluffernutter beneath all the blankets and try to rest ... to rest and to shed my abject annoyance over the HVAC.


No comments: