Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Still grateful...


The ineffable gratitude for not being so ill lingers still today, but the giddiness abounding within over not being sick is no longer sufficient to counter the soul crushing exhaustion from being ill ... Monday and every day.  I was able to put away my Amazon Subscribe and Save order and the dishes from the dishwasher.  I also went to get gas, having received a notice about rising gas prices.  And I girded my loins to also address my tires.

The low-pressure warning light came on in the car last Saturday.  Or at least I noticed it on the way to the symphony.  But it was dark and I did not want to try checking the air in my tires until daylight.

I think that tire pressure warning system is the one true luxury item on my Highlander.  My second car had electric windows.  I thought I was in heaven.  This third car has electric windows, automatic transmission, and the tire pressure warning system.  The lap of luxury.  January will make this my oldest car, once it turns 12.

Anyway, I had my tires rotated and balanced in July with the oil change and they are not even two years old yet, so I was wondering why one of them was low.  However, ALL of them were low!  I do not understand how that happened ... unless they were not properly checked in July.

To check the air in my tires, since air costs money, I prep the car first.  I pull the hose out all the way. I remove all the caps and set them atop each tire.  And I pre-check the air in the tires to find the lowest one first.  Only, as I said, they were all low.

When I started, I had both front doors open, and my purse had spilled onto the passenger seat.  I was bent over (VERY BAD FOR ME) removing the cap from the front driver's tire when a man reached into the car to pick up my phone.  I was startled and fell back and yelled.  None of the other customers at the station even looked over at us.  I screamed at the man to get out of my car.  He did,  dropping my phone and calling me a rude B_____!  The nerve of him!

He wouldn't leave and I was not ... thinking.  I proceeded to ignore him and finish what I was doing.  Stupid of me, I guess.  He wound up the hose and told me to go get a man to do the job, but then left.  Shaking, I pulled it back out, put in my coins, and worked quickly to get all four tires properly inflated.  And then I got back into the car, locked all the doors, and looked up in the operations manual how to reset the tire pressure warning system.

Sometimes ... well ... I wouldn't mind a planet that was all female.

Back home, I collapsed into the GREEN chair and have been there ever since.  Holding Amos.  Reading.  Thinking.

No comments: