Sunday, October 11, 2015

No more creases...




His weighted blanket and a pile of pillows makes for a very contented Fluffernutter.  The pillow in the foreground is actually heavy, so Amos was quite squished.  He just loves that!

I went trolling for recipes last night ... to sort of ... assuage some upsettedness and found several to try.  I adore chicken satay with peanut sauce and found a really sound recipe.  However, it serves eight, so I really need some crash company.  I also found a recipe for lemon basil hummus that I am just dying to try, but I do not have a food processor.  I am not sure it would work in a blender ... or the NutriBullet.  I FINALLY found a nut free-seed free-granola recipe that I plan on trying as soon as I am up for standing in the kitchen.  I found a new rub for grilled chicken that had my mouth salivating.  And I found a rather interesting pork kabobs recipe.  Gosh, I want to try them all!  Immediately!!

At the risk of having to backtrack later, I will note that I followed a link from the Facebook Dysautonomia support group to Dysautonomia International about medications that have been helpful for some in the battle against autonomic nerve malfunction illness.  Most are drugs I cannot take because while I have low blood pressure normally, my blood pressure spikes are inordinately high.  Part of the review included herbal medications.  One of them was Butcher's Broom for helping circulation in the extremities and swelling in the legs.

I honestly believe that my cardiologist is just not hearing me when I try to tell him how swollen my lower legs are.  Yes, I am heavier.  But even when I was heavier than I am now due to all of those steroids, my ankles never swelled, nor did socks leave painful creases on my ankles.  I looked up possible interactions with all of my medications and read some more about Butcher's Broom before ordering it.  I do not exactly understand why, although I read two medical articles about it, but standardized (10% ruscogenin) is much more efficacious than plain Butcher's Broom.  After many reviews and side-of-the-bottle perusing, I chose Swanson's, but ended up getting it from Amazon instead of the manufacturer's website.

I am on just the fourth day of taking it, rather dutifully, twice a day with a glass of liquid, but I have already lost 4 pounds and there are, at the moment, no creases on my ankles.  I am THRILLED!  While I do not expect to continue to lose weight, I am hopeful about not having such swollen ankles. Moreover, I am wondering if it might also help with the Reynaud's in my feet (blue feet).  The temperature was low last night, but my feet were surprisingly not cold.  Less cold feet might be too much to ask for, but I would be thankful if just the swelling and pain in my lower legs is lessened.

Aroma therapy and now herbal medicine.
I don't even recognize myself.
What will be next?  Magnets??

1 comment:

gbkulp said...

It's great that you noticed a difference!