Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I got a job offer today. It is $13K less than I earned on my last job; not enough to pay my mortgage and bills. I was heartily disappointed. It was not that I felt I was being insulted at the low pay, but rather realizing that the organization is much poorer than I thought. Well, I guess that is the wrong way to put it, but how do you describe an organization where all salaries are much lower in scale?

I had to decline, stating that I wasn't in a position to work at that pay scale. They came back to me $7k more, but that was still $3K less than what I really need to get by with only a modest monthly payment toward the colossal debt I have accumulated. I am waiting to hear their response. Without that $3K, I would be stretching each and every month...at least until my first raise.

The plus is that I would be advocating for a children and family service organization, a worth job, eh? The job itself would be a tremendous challenge in that I would add recruiting to my communications and marketing work. Will I be able to do so? Sometimes I believe so, sometimes doubt fills my mind as I envision being fired in just a few months with no new foster parents on board.

The people are great. At least, I have heartily enjoyed each conversation I have had with the woman who would be my direct supervisor. The other two players on the team were warm and welcoming as well. I suspect the entire place has a quite convivial environment. I will also admit I like the fact that they have 15 sick days a year. That is so much more reasonable than the 5 I have had since I moved here. One bad cold and you could nearly wipe out your annual allotment.

So...I wait...

1 comment:

ftwayne96 said...

You sure use "eh" a lot. Are you sure you aren't a Canuck?