Sunday, July 08, 2007

A visit to Target found me the owner of a green can opener. I inaugurated it by opening a can of black-eyed peas. I thought the combination of my favorite color on the opener and the luck of the peas might find me a job soon...

I also found the concrete top of a broken bird bath on sale for $3. While it looks a bit strange, I was able to use it to replace the dish that broke on my fountain (the original dish being just over $100.00). This winter, the water inside froze, splitting the dish in two. I resigned myself to not being able to replace it for a long while after I got a job, my mounting debt being a greater priority. However, when I saw that top on a discard pile, I grew hopeful that my fountain could be restored. I was right. While the rock and the basin do not actually match, I was able to fill the latter up enough to work the pump.

I cannot really explain why that fountain means so much to me. I do like the moss that grows over it. I enjoy watching the birds bathing in and drinking the water. I find the sound soothing. And just looking at it out the kitchen window is a true pleasure.

Frankly, despite my current situation, I believe that it was $3 well spent.

No comments: