Monday, August 06, 2007

I have always liked children. In fact, the greatest sorrow in my life is that I do not have any. From the time I was a young child, I looked forward to having children of my own. While I am loathe to admit it, that dream has most likely passed.

However, I do not like the children who live next to me and a few doors down.

They leave trash in my yard. They turn over my recylcing bin. And they knock over the bricks that edge my yard.

Most days, it is one or two or three bricks. Today it was all of them, from one end of my property to the other.

I've seen them do it. I am not a target of malice. I am just a recipient of their absolute disregard for anyone else but themselves.

I am not the only one who finds trash. I am not the only one who chases their bottles and cans all over the street. However, unfortunately, I am the only one with bricks edging their yard.

I have tried to talk with them. I have asked them kindly to desist. I have tried to talk to their parents. Neither cares. No rules. No boundaries. No consequences.

Even knowing this, I cannot help but feel utterly disheartened at the sight of the mess in front of my house. Two hours later, I had collected them all and re-set them in the ground. Right now, this moment, I am refusing to consider just how short-lived this repair may very well be.

It has been a two Dr. Pepper evening...

No comments: