Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I have a sidewalk. I actually have a sidewalk!

About five months ago, maybe four, someone marked the opposite sides of the missing section (from when the sewage pipe in the front yard had to be replaced). When I saw the markings, I sort of hoped it meant the county was going to repair the sidewalk. I sort of hoped. I mean, what would be the odds after I had had so many quotes and couldn't get it repaired?

I did notice other sections that were marked. I also thought that perhaps the county was paying attention to the neighborhood because of the bungle with the bridge construction and the ensuing flooding two summers ago.

But...as the weeks passed by...I figured that the markings had some other purpose. In my darker moments, I feared that they were documentation for those homeowners who were going to be fined for missing or damaged sidewalks. After all, when I was having the pipe replaced, I learned, much to my dismay, that if the street had to be dug up to reach the main connection, then I was responsible for that repair. I thought surely the contractor was mistaken, but a county official confirmed that awful burden. The contractor assured me that he would be able to feed the new pipe through the old one to connect back to the main junction. However, that whole day at work I was rather nauseous thinking of all the things that could go wrong as the contractor was working.

Of course, the contractor had assured me that he also would not have to break through the sidewalk.

Still, all's well that ends well, eh?

Well! I have a sidewalk! Egad! I can hardly believe it. I almost think that having a sidewalk makes up for having the county worker begin his labors this morning at 7:00 AM.

Almost...

No comments: