Thursday, December 18, 2008

I am feeling less than intelligent right now...

For starters, today B won the 10th of 12 Scrabble games. My score has plummeted. I cannot buy a high enough point word to offset her brilliance. SIGH. It was much, much better when the universe had gone into that Twilight Zone where I could find a Bingo whenever I needed one and won many, many games. But everything has shifted back and I am losing. BIGGER SIGH.

Then there is the computer miracle that just took place. Now, normally, a computer miracle is evidence of my brilliance since I have had no formal training yet am oft called upon to solve the computer trials of my friends and families. I have become quite skilled at puzzling out a few troublesome matters and have a core set of standard "fixes."

Do you remember when I got my video camera two years ago? Those who care about me pooled resources to allow me to purchase a tool whereby I could capture the moments of my life I am struggling to remember. I was so very excited when it arrived and promptly filled up an entire tape of Kashi and our visit to Huntley Meadows.

When my computer was switched out by Dell because of a defective motherboard, I was delighted to get a DVD burner. So, I had great plans of producing my first Kashi movie and sending copies to all my friends and family and acquaintances and perhaps HBO. [I just adore my little Buttercup!]

But, alas, after nearly two months of futile attempts at connecting the camera to the computer via USB, I gave up. Windows would only recognize it as a digital camera and not a video source. I was quite bitter at the knowledge that had I tried earlier I could have used the now expired warranty service for help.

However, tonight, a miracle occured.

I talked with my sister's husband's mother G for an hour after I had called her to let her know the care package was coming straight to her house since my nephews are headed to Oklahoma. We ended up chatting about the boys, with my bemoaning that I want them to know me better and the sad fact that my plan of regular DVD's had fallen flat.

After I hung up, I rather rashly started Googling new video cameras and vowed to just toss this one aside. After one very tempting shopping cart episode, I sighed deeply and closed the browser. Then, after five winning Spider Solitaire games in a row, I thought to check to see if there had been a new driver update. There was not, but Sony did have an update to the software. I decided to download it even though I know the connection issue did not have anything to do with the software.

Whilst waiting for the 379 megabite file to download, I opened the USB streaming window again and tried to connect the camera. After all, what did I have to lose, eh? Would you believe that when I did so, Windows recognized the USB device as a video source and started installing both software and drivers? I was stunned, not quite believing the script running before my eyes! I was connected. I am connected! Trembing from my exuberant exultation, I hastily fetched my digital camera to record EXACTLY how the video camera was connected in the hopes that I will be able to repeat this happening when I have more time to start piecing together my first masterpiece!

I am sure, B, as you are reading this, a burning anticipation of my Kashi movie has you quivering in your chair. Yes, you will have the first copy, even though you have shown me absolutely no Scrabble mercy. Vomica indeed!

~~~~
NOTE: Reason 218 why I can not possibly have diabetes: Life without Dr Pepper is simply unthinkable, untenable really. I would not be able to live a life soda-drug free. It frankly is not possible, so it is not possible that I have diabetes. My world is thus; thus I have made it. [20 points if you can tell me from which movie that is from. Hint: it is a paraphrase of the last line.]

No comments: