Saturday, December 13, 2008

Well, Wednesday was an awful day that ended up in the ER for one humdinger of an asthma attack--one that started in the pulmonologist's office. [I could not get a replacement appointment until January 14th.] That evening, I started having an allergic reaction to something that ended me back up in the ER yesterday. I still am not sure what triggered the reaction, but the result was horrible.

My cheeks started turning red, then my neck, chest, arms, and abdomen. My skin was hot to the touch and painful like a sunburn. But beneath the skin, my muscles felt as if I had been pummeled. The medicine I got at the ER stopped the allergic reaction, but not the pain. Sleeping was difficult last night because lying down made the pain worse.

Wednesday's drug regimen treatment to stop the asthma attack left me with a terrific headache, violent tremors, and a pounding heart. So, I didn't sleep much that night. Neither did I last night.

Little sleep, strong drugs, long hours in the ER. A rotten week.

What made it worse was the fact that the neurological ophthalmologist that I waited six months to see left me sitting in the waiting room for two and a half hours before having his nurse tell me my records were insufficient and he would not see me. He didn't even speak to me. I was devastated. I am not sure what to do now, how to find another one who wouldn't mind that in 2003 my medical records were lost and I have not sufficient brain cells to remember which doctors I saw before I moved here in 1998. The fact that I struggle with both long- and short-term memory should be a concern to a neurologist, right? Not this one. All I want is help with my vision...

I did, after two attempts, finally manage to have the A1C test that will confirm whether or not I have diabetes. I have decided that there just are not enough symptoms, despite the two fasting glucose tests. Plus, any number of factors can skyrocket your glucose, stress being one of them. I am going with stress. I will know by next Friday.

Today and tomorrow, I plan on sleeping copious amounts and finding a way to make next week far better than this one.

No comments: