Sunday, March 14, 2010

I found it interesting that today's Gospel reading was on the prodigal son....

I study the readings for the three year lectionary, but the church where I have been going is on the one year lectionary.  So, I was surprised to hear those words fall from the pastor's lips.

Today was the installation of a visitation pastor (I do not know what that is), so the District president was the presiding pastor and gave the sermon.  Something I found interesting was his emphasis was on the reckless love with which the father greeted the son, the same reckless love, the same overwhelming outpouring Christ has for us when we but turn to him.  One step is all it takes, from the first moment of repentance so exuberant is His joy.

I guess what I struggle with is that my puppy dog is the only one who greets me with such joy.  Perhaps Bettina, but I honestly wonder, at times, why she is my friend.  Why she chooses to look past all that she has to in order to see what we share...when I eventually become objectionable or wearisome to others.  It certainly cannot be because I lose to her in Scrabble more times than I care to admit!  She is a mystery to me.

The closing hymn was We Praise You and Acknowledge You O God.  What joy it is to sing that with dozens and dozens of brothers and sisters in Christ, even though I have not spoke a word to any of them or they to me.  There, in that moment, was such fellowship.

I came home and picked up the guitar for the first time in a long while, wanting to continue the praise.  Much to my sorrow, the agony in my right shoulder made it so that I could not do so for more than three songs.

Exhaustion has been my constant companion.  This week was difficult for between Monday and Friday I worked 54 hours.  Usually, I can tell I am reaching that point of no return in exhaustion when my right hips begins to move in the socket or my right knew becomes loose or my left thumb becomes a source of agony.  This past week, a new part of me has joined the protestation:  my left elbow.  It is amazing, really, how much you use your left elbow in a week....

Sitting in church was agony.  I almost couldn't bear it.  The pews have no pads and the seat is deeper, so I cannot find a comfortable position.  But I wanted to be there.  I wanted to hear absolution, be washed in the Living Word, and take in the blood and body of Christ.  Finishing with that hymn made enduring the pain worth it.

And so I thought I would keep to that vein, but it hurts too much.  Oh how my body hurts.

Today is a day I would give everything I own just to have someone come and sit with me while I am huddled in the green chair.  Having someone here would make the pain more endurable.

Unfortunately, there is not a 1-800-Pain Visit number to call.


Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief!

No comments: