Thursday, April 06, 2006

For the past two years, I have had this line of ants that ran from the back door, up the wall, across the counter to the sink. I have had tried numerous types of bait and have personally killed millions to no avail. Because they only stayed for a few months, I tried to ignore them and keep the sink absolutely clean during their visit.

Well, two weeks ago, they showed up...four months early! I couldn't believe their audacity and was not looking forward to the battle, so I set out to win the war.

While picking up the door locks that were being keyed, I asked a Lowe's guy to show me what was a sure fire ant killer. He pointed to this can of innocuous looking dust for his recommendation. Two days ago, I rather blithely spread out a rather generous sprinkling over the two mounds I found in the yard and all around the door frame. It was a beautiful evening, and I didn't mind the work with a fresh breeze blowing.

However...

...I did not read the can first.

1. It is highly poisonous with three different numbers to call in case of exposure.
2. I was to wear gloves, long sleeves, and long pants.
3. I was to wash my clothing immediately after application.
4. I was to avoid using it if there was wind.


Last night, I spent quite a bit of time trying to minimize my exposure as I tried to minimize the spread of white powder in the places Kashi and I regularly tread.


There are no ants at my sink.

No comments: