Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The best laid plans of mice and men...

I had gotten a new book before I learned that I was losing my job, so I set it aside for a dark day. Yesterday was such, where the battle to rest in God' sovereignty was particularly difficult. I opened the book and started reading. It was a harsh tale that took me to an unexpected place. I read and thought and read some more. Before I knew it, morning had come and the last page was turned.

So much for trying to reestablish a better schedule.

I was watching the news a while ago and saw that 7,000 acres of forest are now burning in California. In Siberia, Canada, and Australia, forest fires are also raging and men and women are putting their lives in danger trying to battle them. I learned that the people of New York City and St. Louis are still suffering the heat, with people dying from heat exhaustion from California to New York. Hundreds of thousands are still without power. Sweltering.

While it may be extremely difficult for me to be outside right now, I do have the luxury of the highly efficient air conditioner that was put in this spring. I am safe and secure inside my home and can sleep in comfort with cool air blowing across my room.

After praying for these people, I spent time thanking God for the blessings I do have in my life...

No comments: