Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The storms are raging once more.

The birds are agitated, and Kashi is whimpering behind the couch. He keeps trying to find a place of safety to him. I understand how he feels. I wish I had one as well.

131 homes in the streets behind me were flooded out last Sunday. Many of them have been condemned. Fairfax County officials have been in the neighborhood ever since the evacuation that began late that night. At the entrance to this end of the neighborhood, county officials have set up a staging area where fire trucks, ambulances, police, gas company vehicles, and power company vehicles are parked. Piles of supplies and scores of individuals add to the controlled chaos there. Inspectors ride around on golf cart, and tow-trucks haul out the water-logged cars and trucks. Three giant roll-offs have been parked in the neighborhood, where individuals and heavy equipment operators can dump the debris from the flooded homes. Industrial pumps have been operating around the clock ever since.

The windows are rattling with thunder, while hail is pouring down once more. I wonder, looking outside, how much more those families can take.

There has been sun the last few days, but with the sun has come oppressive heat baking the area. Scattered thunderstorms also keep battering this neighborhood.

I suppose I should be content with waiting yet another week for a phone. I should be quite thankful that I live a block away, yet eight feet higher than all those homes. I should appreciate each moment I do have power and be grateful each time it comes back on in under a few hours.

My babies are a bit inconsolable. They do not understand that this time, too, shall pass. I do understand...yet I also know how they feel.

What an Independence Day this is...

No comments: