Friday, July 07, 2006

My writing student mother called this afternoon to get me out of the house. I really resisted, wanting to stay in my pajamas and not wanting to be around anyone, not wanting to have to be cheerful. Ever the persistent friend, she convinced me to pull myself together and come on over.

When I arrived at their home, I saw all the kids on their bikes. After parking my car, I got out and hollered at them, "I think all you children are morally obligated to come play games with me!" To my intense pleasure, the oldest son hollered back that they would be in shortly.

Once inside, the youngest two went in search of Skipbo to no avail. So, the oldest son pulled out a "new" game, new because it had been lost in the recesses of the bedroom where my writing student abides.

Oh, I was ever so unenthusiastic about learning a new game. I hemmed and hawed something fierce, but he ignored me and started setting up the new game. The middle girl read the directions out loud and off we went into the wild blue yonder of my NEW FAVORITE GAME: Up for Grabs. Alas...I am already half sure that I will not be able to find a copy of my own.

I actually won. I mean, nearly all the games we play there, I am at the mercy of those brilliant children. My three degrees are naught before their mental prowess. But in this game...I am master!

What a precious gift my friend gave to me this evening

No comments: