Friday, July 28, 2006

It is one thing when I forget to take my own medicine, but it is another when I forget Kashi's.

I came home from a visit at my writing student's home. The visit was filled with games, chores, and honest conversation. I didn't win. But I was treated to a wonderful dinner. Her mother made this basil pesto from scratch that was quite sumptuous. I even managed to bring a bit of leftovers back home so that tomorrow I will have an easy time remembering the good meal.

I was feeling pretty pleased with myself because I had rummaged around in my closet and made a new outfit. The top I wore was a crocheted sweater that I had bought three years ago determined to fit into it. The strong melon color just did something for me that I cannot really explain, so I bought it without knowing if I would ever be able to wear it.

I was feeling good because her mother and I had a good conversation and spent some time in prayer together. There is nothing that beats praying with another Christian, enjoying the fellowship of Christ's salvation, the grace of God, and the Spirit's presence.

Alas, when I arrived home and started unpacking the groceries, I suddenly realized that I had rolled out of bed, achieved my wardrobe victory, played with my babies, and raced out the door to see my friends. I was so hasty that I forgot to give Kashi his pain pill and prepare his dish of prescription dog food, Cheerios, and the Chinese herbs to help with his Cushing's disease. I quickly prepared his evening meal and medicine and whispered remorse and sweet nothings in his ear as he gobbled down his meal.

As irascible and intractable a dog he has become in his old age, Kashi is a great companion who has walked my own path with me for eleven years. For that, I am truly thankful...

No comments: