Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Fancy is making progress, but it sometimes feels like she takes one step backward for every two forward.

She is grumpy and clingy and not very happy. She eats constantly, but is still underweight. Her feathers are growing in, but that is part of the problem. Metabolically, that is. Birds regularly molt, but not nearly a whole wing all at once.

I wonder if it is like teething because her wing seems to be hurting her again. We started back the pain medication, but getting it down her beak is rather stressful to Fancy. She just doesn't seem to understand I am trying to help her.

The silly bird has also not gotten it through her thick head that she can no longer fly. So, she regularly falls off the cage. I have added to the pile of blankets, towels, and coats because Fancy invariably landed in a place that had a thin covering. Twice she has bled again, but I hope we are past that now that sufficient padding is in place.

Nearly three weeks have passed and yet we have such a long way to go before she is healthy. I keep trying to figure out how long I have had her. At least six years, but I think eight. In any case, it has been a long while her being my good companion. I don't want to lose her.

~~~~
NOTE: Kashi believes the piles of cloth are for him and has taken great pleasure in making beds beneath the cage. He makes them. I unmake them. He makes them again. A tenacious dog he is!

No comments: