Tuesday, April 28, 2009

There was a bit of a Twilight Zone in my abode this evening. How so, you ask? Well, let me tell you.

For the past few days, I have been pantry eating. You know, where you make do with what you have. Lunch today, was half of a can of Trader Joe's stew that has been a long-time tenant in my basement stock of food. When I came home from work, I decided to try and do something different with the slightly wrinkled baby red potatoes that have been in the refrigerator ever since my aborted trip to the cabin.

After layering the bottom of the pan with olive oil, I minced garlic while the olive oil was heating. When it was quite hot, I allowed the garlic to sizzle and added salt and pepper to the olive oil. While the garlic was browning, I sliced the baby red potatoes into round slices just under a 1/4 inch thick. I tossed the potatoes into the pan and spread them out flat and then drizzled them with Balsamic glaze. Once the potatoes had been sauteing for a while, I doused them with sweet white wine and let them cook for a total of about 20 minutes total.

The result? Oh, my, the most perfect potatoes I have ever prepared. They were crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. Melt in your mouth delicious! I wonder if the fact that they were old contributed to the perfect consistency.

Giddy with my success, I decided to take a stab at boiling some eggs. My desire for deviled eggs outweighing the certainty that I would have egg disaster once more. 10 eggs went into the pot, 3 into the sink (they were cracked). 10 eggs came out of the pot. 9 peeled perfectly. 1 just slightly marred. Flush with triumph, I promptly prepared 5 of the eggs, eating half and setting aside half for lunch at work tomorrow.

Can you believe it? I cooked and had not one, but two true successes!

Now, I should admit that when turning on the stove, I twisted the dial straight past light and on to medium. When I realized what I did, I twisted it back without thinking. Whoosh! I now have no hair on my right arm.

But, really, what does a bit of singed hair matter when my palette was so completely sated this evening?

1 comment:

ftwayne96 said...

You're making me hungry. . .