Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I have left Walther alone for a whole day! I miss reading about Law and Gospel, learning about each. But I am troubled by Kleinig and cannot put the book down, even though I have yet to move past the introduction.

I think that I could type out this whole section and still not put enough of what I am thinking and feeling down here.  Perhaps it would suffice to merely put one small bit that is, in reality, very large...

Luther, therefore, does not envisage the spiritual life as a process of self-development, but as a process of reception from the triune God. This process of reception turns proud, self-sufficient individuals into humble beggars before God. (Grace Upon Grace, 16)


[Oh, how Pastor must be laughing at me right now! We have had many a conversation about begging! Me telling him I should not have to. Him asking why ever not. He must find me the strangest person at times, the strangest Christian!]

Sometimes I feel as if I am being unfair to the Protestant churches in which I spent the last 27 years. Sometimes I wonder if I am simply not remembering clearly enough. It couldn't be this different. It couldn't be such a dichotomy. After all, we all believe in the same Christ, the same cross.

I keep thinking that common belief should bind us together, but the more I learn of Lutheranism, the more I see this great chasm between us all, between that which I learned and that which I am learning.  Saying so may seem to reek of hubris and arrogance, but I firmly, whole-heartedly believe the former is wrong and the latter is right.

Not that Luther was perfect.  I would be remiss if I did not admit I am saddened at the thought of his diatribes against Jews.  In that regard, the man had issues.  But, then again, we are all sinners.  I should not expect him to be any different.

But his parsing of scripture is spot on!  Truly it is...pun intended.

The Christian life as a life of reception?  Whew...that is simply the polar opposite of what I have known.  To be beggars?  Never!  And yet we are beggars.  We are!  There is nothing that we can give, nothing that we can do that the Creator of the Universe needs.  On the flip side, He gave us everything He had.  He gave us the world.  He gave us His son.  He gave us life.  He gave us heaven.  He gave us the Holy Spirit.  He gave us faith.

Why was I never taught that the Christian life is a life of reception?  Why was I never taught Objective Grace?  Why was I never taught compassion and consolation for my daily struggle with sin?  Why was I never taught forgiveness for that struggle?

Of course you struggle; you're a wretched sinner, Myrtle!  Anyone who purports that he does not is a liar! But, Myrtle, you're forgiven for that sin.  Come, rest in His house.  Let Him minister to your wounds, caring for them with the Word.  Come, take the gifts of Christ.  Be renewed by His body and blood that you might have the peace and comfort you need to sustain you in this world.  Take His forgiveness into your body that you might walk in His freedom, knowing that you are loved, even in your sin, for He sees only the cross, not that which He has washed clean from you.  For you, Myrtle.  All this is for you.


Would that all Christians might know of these Truths...

No comments: