Monday, September 07, 2009

I would like to blame my silly female tears of yesterday on fatigue, but I do not think that would be very fair. I did fall asleep around 7:00 PM last night and did not wake until after 11:00 this morning. [It is a good thing that I had already set the DVR to record the NASCAR race!] After letting Kashi out and checking email, I laid back down on the couch for a few moments and and ended up losing another seven hours, essentially sleeping the clock round. At least I can say that I will begin the week rested!

I was catching up on a few of my favorite confessional Lutheran pastor blogs and spotted this on Pastor W's. He posted on Saturday, and, well, it was a lesson I needed then so as to help keep the proper perspective on yesterday, to truly savor the gift and let go of the rest.

If we earnestly believe that we receive the true body and blood of our Savior - true God and man in one person - in Holy Communion, and not mere bread and wine, we shall then approach the Table of the Lord, not thoughtlessly and lightly, but in deepest reverence and humility of heart, saying as did the centurion, "Lord, I am not worthy to have You come under my roof." -- from Brief Instruction for Those Preparing for Holy Communion (Treasury, p. 1467ff)

O Jesus, now that I am to partake of Your holy feast of love, I receive it also in remembrance of You. I remember Your love, how for my sake You came into the world to make me an heir of life everlasting. I remember Your anguish, pain, and wounds by which my sins and punishments have been removed from me and Your righteousness bestowed on me. I remember Your death and Your resurrection by which life and salvation have been imparted to me. I know, O Jesus, that for Your sake I obtain grace, sonship, peace, and heaven’s joy. I shall not be lost if I abide in You, O Jesus, and You abide in me.

O abide, then, in my heart. Dwell in my heart, live and run in it. Let me Yours in time and eternity. Let Your holy body be my food, Your holy blood my drink, and refresh me unto life everlasting. Grant that I may never lose this treasure, but that You, my Jesus, henceforth may live, rule and dwell in me. Israel’s manna had to be gathered in a clean vessel. Oh, that You would then purify my heart by true faith, genuine repentance, love, and humility, so that I may worthily receive this pledge of Your love and constantly keep it for the strengthening of my faith, the sanctification of my life, and the assurance of my salvation. O precious Holy Spirit, preserve me in this grace unto my blessed end. Guard me, lest I again sin wantonly and fall from grace, and my last condition be worse than the first. Until death let me continue in faith in the Triune God, in love toward my neighbor, and in godliness, that I may obtain the end of faith, the salvation of my soul.

Grant that we worthily receive Your supper, Lord, our Savior, And, truly grieving for our sins, May prove by our behavior That we are thankful for Your grace And day by day may run our race, In holiness increasing. LSB 622:7 (A prayer before communing in Starck's Prayer Book)

No comments: