Tuesday, September 22, 2009

This was one of those days that was so bad that you just had to laugh...

My boss wanted me to drive to another city with her to renew her car rental, to stop by Ikea, to go by Dixie Bones, and to stop by one more place.  I calculated that we would be gone approximately four hours.  This when we have a major event on Thursday!  I did not have time for errands, even if we could talk about work on the way.  And, to be honest, I wrestled with anger when I arrived at work and, again, when we started the trip.

I should have known that our departure time would be pushed back three hours.  However, I did use those three hours much to my advantage, working feverishly to complete a draft of all three of my projects for the day so that I had less work this evening.

Remember her command to be well?  Oh, my, did I fail at that today.

After driving down there (one hour), stopping by Ikea (43 minutes) and sitting in the car while she was inside at the car rental (33 minutes), I started to feel shaky.  That feeling shortly magnified, and I realized my blood sugar was crashing.  I had not yet replaced the juice box in my work bag; we were not in my car where I keep a spare juice box either.  I started to panic.  Fortunately, the restaurant was close to the car rental place.  After bounding inside, I ended up drinking the sweetest barbecue sauce on the table until I got a hold of some sugar packets. 

While the food that followed helped, I was not feeling all that when when I started to have an asthma attack.  Two rounds of my inhalers later, I realized that I couldn't escape needing to use my nebulizer in front of my boss.  I coughed my way out of the restaurant to her car and started nebulizing right away, despite her fears that I was poisoning her.

By the time we got back to the office nearly an hour and a half later, I was trembling so violently from the drugs that I honestly was not sure I could drive home.  So, I called my godmother to ride home with me (virtually) once again.

Hours later, I am still trembling and fell down the stairs the last time I tried to go to the bathroom.  I am too agitated for sleep, but hope that the drugs wear off soon...

For someone who is supposed to be well at work, I did a rather dismal job of that today.

SIGH

I hope that I am better at  being "well" tomorrow.

No comments: