Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Filling the freezer...


Stewmaker.  Naanmaker.  Labnehmaker!




We had a freeze last night, so I brought the labneh in early.  I put it in this dish to thaw.  For a while there, I was rather worried about the bits of yellow, thinking of all sorts of science experiments growing in my muslin pouch.  But then I remembered the recipe called for lemon zest.  Phew!


 

I thought that I would go ahead and make the balls, per the recipe, but I am not sure why they are needed if you are making labneh for a meal with others.   Because I brought it in before the 48 hours had passed, there was a small portion that was still ... damp.  However, the taste was just like I remembered it from the restaurant.  After I rolled all the balls and put them in a jar with olive oil, I pulled one back out, slathered it on some naan, chopped up some grilled chicken, and ate it all with deep and abiding appreciation for the person who first created labneh.

After sleeping until 3:00, I started in on my plan to fill up my new freezer shelves.  I wanted to make my black eyed peas, beer stew, and naan.  I never got to the latter, but my stove was hard at work for several hours.




I learned I am not all that skilled at making two recipes at once, finally resorting to making lists of ingredients and crossing them off to ensure they went into the proper pot.  I nearly forgot the cracked black pepper in one of them.




Much to my surprise, the stew was even better the second time round.  I do believe that I did a far, far, far better job at braising the beef.  Could that really have put this over the top??




I decided to use smaller jars, so that I am thawing less at a time.  I did one large jar of each in case I have company where I might have to share ... grudgingly.  That square container in the front?  It was for my lunch on the morrow.  However, around 9:00 this evening, I could no longer hold out and popped it in the microwave to warm it up, along with a scali roll.  I think I might have died and gone to heaven for a while.  I truly am a stewmaker!  A stewmaker with a freezer!!

I think that I forgot to post the one photo I took during Snowmageddon 2014:



The lions cracked me up, with such high caps on their heads.  Can you spot Amos, rather anxiously awaiting the return of his puppy momma??

While I would really like to whip up a couple of batches of naan to go straight to the freezer on the morrow, I suspect that I might be spending the day in repose.  I am so bloody tired from the painting and then all the cleaning and then the cooking.  The pain in my legs is so great I suspect I won't have any choice about naan-making on the morrow.  I also suspect Amos wouldn't mind some extended puppy momma time.  The poor sod is feeling rather neglected.


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

2 comments:

Caryl said...

Hey Labnehmaker! Just wanted to say hello (and to call you Labnehmaker!)

Myrtle said...

I would like to be a Cinnamonrollmaker, but I suspect that title will always be yours, Caryl! I am pretty darned pleased with myself that I made Labneh and made it on my very first attempt.