Sunday, January 19, 2014

Midnight muffins...


I forced Michelle into her cup bearer duties ... at midnight!




Really, I blame her.  She loaned me her favorite baking cookbook, Land O'Lakes Baking and More (2010).  The first recipe that caught my eye was one of carrot muffins.  No.  Seriously, stop thinking about carrot cake.  They are not carrot cake in a muffin form.  They are healthy tasting muffins, not wicked tasting ones.

Oh, if you only could have seen the look on her face when she bit into it!  Michelle was expecting sweet (as was I) and got something different.  Michelle was then working out how to tell me about it without offending my sensibilities.  But she remembered that I wanted honesty and said they were not  at all sweet, but they were very, very, very moist.  Michelle suggested that I go ahead and substitute the sour cream with Greek yogurt before posting the recipe.  We also swapped out one of the sweet elements ... because who in the world uses melted jelly in a recipe???  I had forgone the jelly, not knowing how to substitute for it.  I worked out the grams of sugar in the jelly and translated that to grams of sugar in honey can came up with a substitution.

So, if you are looking for a breakfast muffin or perhaps an afternoon snack muffin, feel free to try out these Honey Carrot Muffins!

In addition to her cup bearer duties, Michelle actually had to stop and get flour and butter on her way home for me. I raided the change cup in my car to pay her back.  But, again, I blame her for loaning me the book ... not my own impatient gluttony.

Amos made up for Michelle's labor on my behalf by showering her with affection while she was in the kitchen with me.  After less than a week, he will climb into her lap at the drop of a hat and is already jumping several feet off the floor to get her to hold him.  Clearly, he adores his new aunt.


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

2 comments:

SusanH said...

Oh no! Not the Land O'Lakes Cookbook!! :) You will have a lot of fun with that. Your substitutions for the carrot muffins sound perfect.

I'm positive the adoration is mutual between Amos and Michelle. He's such an adorable pup!! I bet Michelle adores you, also, for feeding her muffins at midnight.

Myrtle said...

Oh, Susan, you should have prevented that cookbook from traveling north! I'm in the process of marking all the recipes I want to try. I am thinking I need to get a farmer to grow a whole field of wheat for me!!