Tuesday, January 14, 2014

For the record...


Having a freezer is just plain awesome!  I'm in love.  Already.

Electrician Man was actually very impressed with the freezer.  He liked that it has rollers and was very easy to move around.  He installed the plug and I set it to cooling since he said he was certain it had rested enough.

He also admired the new color on the wall.  Wise man.

One bit of good news that came from his visit is that he noted there is no return in the basement for the HVAC system.  He said he could put on in the large vent that is in the basement living space and believes the removal of the cold air from the floor will warm up the basement living space by about 5 degrees and greatly help whenever I run the air conditioner.  So, he's popping back by later to cut out a hole and install a vent cover.  Plus, that means he gets more Dr Pepper.

I am relieved that the powder bath is now up to code, with the most needless GFIC plug and the very useful relocation of the light switch from the parlor wall to inside the bathroom.  I am also relieved because Ben believes I should let sleeping dogs lie with regard to adding the last GFIC outlet on the small counter run next to the stove.  Where we would put it, equal distance from the one on the other part of the corner counter, is actually an outside wall.  All sorts of trials and tribulations could arise and we wouldn't know until the wallpaper was cut.  He suggested that if an inspector brought it up, I offer (my trustee offers) the future homeowners cash at closing to cover a basic outlet installation.  Plus, he said that since this was not new construction or a true renovation, I really shouldn't be held to the two-foot rule.

I am also already in love with my three-way switch for the parlor light, even though Ben did not have a proper cover plate and had to do a temporary job for me.  I love being able to turn on the parlor light as I pass through at night, turning it back off as I exit the other door.  Three-way switches are some of the bestest inventions on the planet.  Ever.  Period.  Adoration of them abounds.

Did I mention that when I asked about capping off the downspout gas pipe hanging from the ceiling Ben mentioned he could take care of that during my HVAC maintenance this spring????

So much electrical joy overflowed that I whipped up a batch of roasted garlic butter for Ben to take home to his bride.  I also made one for me.  But then when Marie's sister arrived, I realized that I had probably made the second one for her.  I feel very wicked giving folk roasted garlic butter.  Such an economical gift with such a tasty outcome!

For the record, I also am already adoring this:




Why? you ask.  Because it does this:




At $3.57, this is a bloody bargain!  When you have been overly enthusiastic in your cooking endeavors and have more dishes than your sink dish rack can hold, pile them atop a drying mat and let nature take its course.  When they were all dry, the mat was also dry, as was the counter top.  I'm in love.  I'm so in love that I bought one for those who stay in the basement ... to spread the joy, so to speak.

Speaking of overly enthusiastic cooking, here is my latest mad endeavor:




If you have ever eaten labneh, then this is all I need to say: I am trying to make labneh.  Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Friday's menu for cooking with Marie is going to be Greekish.  So, that got me thinking about baba ganoush, which I have been longing to learn how to make.  And then I started wondering if there were any recipes out there for labneh.  There are.  And, in reading through them, I learned why it was that I hung on to that square of muslin from my grandmother all these decades.  Over and over it has been suggested that I toss it out.  However, I kept it because it was hers. 

After reading through possible recipes, I went hunting for the cloth—a 45-minute search that was victorious in the third "likely" location—and threw it in the wash with the load of bedding from the basement.

Since I eat plain, whole milk yogurt in my beloved smoothies, I had all the ingredients on hand.  Well, all of them save for mint, but who in the world wants to put mint in their labneh?????  This is a photo about 12 hours into the 48 hours of hang time.  One recipe said 24 was sufficient, and I am wondering if perhaps that could be correct.  Basically, you mix up the yogurt and other tastiness, put it in a bag of muslin, and then let it hang so all the whey can drip out.  Personally, I find the bowl disgusting. 

I read that you could hang it in a cold part of your house.  Or you could remove a shelf in the refrigerator and hang it in there.  Since we are having conveniently chilly weather, I hung it on the back porch.  Would you believe that is a 35 ounce container of yogurt?

Because I was doubtful of my success, I did a half recipe.  So, basically, I should just have enough for our Friday lunch and a bit left over.  Still, if it really and truly is a success, I will happily do it again with a whole batch.  Most of the recipes suggested rolling the soft cheese into balls, putting them in a jar, and covering them with olive oil.  That way, they keep in the refrigerator for up to six months.  I cannot imagine labneh lasting that long.

It is this rich, creamy, mild cheese that goes well with middle eastern food.  My beloved Lebanese restaurant in Alexandria served it.  In fact, that is one good part of working for my last boss.  She introduced me to labneh.

For the record, it is possible to freeze the naan dough, thaw it out, cook it, and enjoy its tastiness as if you had just spent the three and a half hours cooking it.




Clearly, I need lessons in rolling out naan.

My plan had been to roll up some grilled chicken into a sandwich, but I ended up just having the chicken on the side.  Since I thought there was not enough wickedness sufficient to honor the naan, I mixed Gourmet Gardens® Italian Herbs paste into warm cream cheese and spread it across the top of my misshapen creation.  I had no problem wolfing it down, once I finally sat down to enjoy it.

Myrtle's Freezing Naan Dough Tip:  When you put the thawed dough on the mat to roll it out, be sure to cover all sides of your ball/blob in flour before you apply the rolling pin.

I had six ounces of cream cheese left over from the Roasted Butternut Squash and Cheese Pasta, so after mixing in the fresh herb paste, I divided it in half, to freeze some for later.

In between cleaning much of the day,  in preparation for Marie's sister's arrival, and helping Ben—did I mention that I got to use a tool of his because he needed help???—I popped over to try round two of fetching my glasses.  This time, I spoke with an actual optician.  She said that glasses are not like contacts and I really could be experiencing an adjustment period rather than a wrong prescription.  She asked that I wear my old glasses home and then put the new ones on tomorrow morning.  Then, I am to wear them for two days and return for the testing.  She also spent some time fitting the new ones to my rather crooked head.

Since I was out, I gave into my longings and bought some groceries so that I can make a batch of stew and one of black eyed peas.  Tomorrow shall be a cooking day, both large pots earning their keep. I would also like to whip up another batch of naan for the freezer.  I wonder just how long it will be until I can make bread, but I also think that small amounts of bread is better for a single person.  Because I think along those lines, I bought more scali rolls ... since I now have room for them in a freezer!

I resisted buying Blue Bell.  Everything I got went for the cooking plans I have, save for the scali rolls.  I just found an Israeli chicken recipe that looks incredible.  I have everything but the russet potatoes.  SIGH.  Maybe some will fall into my cart when I fetch my prescriptions....

Should I mention that two small rosemary plants are now resting in the solarium?  The growing guide said to keep them in bright light and water from the bottom.  There is no more sun-shiny place than the solarium.  Though quite nippy, the succulents from the front porch are happily growing ever bigger and stronger and longer (my string of pearls) and my giant spotted begonias are still perky.  Perhaps they will convince the rosemary plants to stay and grow, too.

For the record, having a house with a solarium is just plain wonderful!
 

I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

No comments: