Thursday, January 23, 2014

Night clouds...


Quick, what does this remind you of?




If you answered:  "Vincent and the Doctor" you win any item off my recipe blog the next time you visit.  If not, well, then you don't really know me.

Of course, I don't really know me.

The vision of Richard Curtis in addressing both Vincent Van Gogh's artistry and mental illness is brilliant, resulting in one of my top five favorite television shows ever.  And I love how he made the real stars turn into the swirls of stars of Van Gogh's painting.  Do you see the swirls amongst the clouds?

I was watching the night clouds again, wishing fervently I could capture them.  They are so very beautiful ... to me.  I wonder if anyone else would think so.  I do not actually remember ever seeing night clouds before.  

I like to watch them move.
I wonder if anyone else is watching them.
I also wonder just what I have to do to capture them in a photo.

SIGH.

Do you know who would know?  My friend Caryl!  Really, she is a work friend, since I do not know her personally all that well.  But I know her artistry, her skill, her professionalism, her integrity, and her probity.  What more do I need to know?

I first met Caryl when she came in to do a pitch for a website proposal.  I was working for a communications engineering company that was dire need of a comprehensive communications and marketing plan and a 21st century website.  All the other companies came in with a song and dance and goodies to distract what they actually had to offer.  Caryl did not bring any branded giveaways or baskets of food.  She brought her incredible knowledge, skill, and talent.  

If you know what to listen for, Caryl's presentation ran circles around the other.  But when the committee was discussing them, the members actually noted the lack of goodies and giveaways.  As if that mattered!  Work chose another designer and ended up with a less-than-successful website.

When I went to work for my first non-profit, I discovered that it has spent $27,000 over nearly three years and still did not even have a site map, any content, or even design comps.  I was appalled at how thoroughly the non-profit was being fleeced by a friend of one of the senior management team.  It took a while, but I convinced the senior management team to walk away from that money as a sunk cost and turned to Caryl for help.  We had a great website in just about three months, if I remember correctly, with a custom-designed administrative interface that allowed us to update dynamic content.  Charlotte's Web Studios does amazing work, thorough work, and scalable work.  But the icing on the cake you get in the transaction is unbelievable customer service.  Plus, no nickel-and-diming to boot!!  I wish more folk could experience the peace that comes with having your design work done so well.

As long as I knew her, Caryl would always say she was not a writer.  But she is.  And now I have proof:  her blog!  What I like most about A Growing Garden is what Caryl told me about it.  Her blog was a chance to do design work the way she wanted to do it.  Of course, it is also a feast for the eye, given how talented Caryl is.  And it is so darned informative!  I would like to call her a homestead farmer, but I wonder if being a "farmer" means that you have to grow animals as well.  She has animals, just not for food.

She has visiting pigs and deer, baby blue birds, hummingbirds, and tree frogs out the wazoo.  But don't you think someone whose garden is a significant part of their property a farmer, rather than a garden?  Especially one who uses words such as "bushels"?

To me, reading her blog is sheer bliss.  

I wish she could just pop on over here one night and take a photo of my night clouds.  Okay, many, many, many photos of my night clouds.  She could do it.  Caryl could do it and do it in such a way to honor and reflect what I see ... and think and feel.

I've long thought that the fact that some of the most beautiful, most exquisite fish on the planet live where most will never see them is an example of the craftsmanship and care of our Creator.  In a small way, I think the same about the clouds. 

You know, the middle of the night is the only time Amos is at peace outside.  There are no people making noises or cars driving by or anything else to trigger his highly sensitive startle response.  I have come to realize that it is also one of the most peaceful times for me.  Amos explores the yard at his leisure, whilst I become still before God, quiet and at rest ... for the moment ... watching the night clouds.

I really do wish I could have a photograph of them for a reminder when I am not at peace.


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

1 comment:

Caryl said...

myrtle, you are very sweet and very, very kind :-)

yes, if I'm ever in Indiana, I'll be glad to try to capture the night clouds in your backyard!