Thursday, May 26, 2005

I watched someone facilitate a discussion today.

In my frank opinion, I truly believe that I could have done a far better job. Primarily, this is because on four separate occasions, the facilitator interrupted the participants. They were talking, engaged in the conversation, only to have their interaction broken off by a question that was being answered at the time or had already been answered.

The professor part of me watched in fascination, wanting to step in, and direct the conversation. I also reveled in the memory of the classes that ran over because my students were so engaged in the lesson topic, they wanted to finish the discussion. Of course, there were those times I had to pull it out of them...but even those were good times. Good because I enjoyed the challenge of bridging gaps and creating moments of clarity to make the connections necessary for understanding. I was also good at using one person's comment to illuminate or connect that of another, so the conversation centered not around my facilitation but on the topic itself.

There I was, thinking I could do this. I could do this better. And then it hit me. But I don't.

I am not very successful at leading discussions at work. Why?

I fear that the answer lies with me. I fear the answer is because I am so very thoroughly cowed by my colleagues. I become so lost in my interior dialogue of past remarks and battles with them, that I have little confidence left in my own voice. The frustrating part is that I know, really know, most of the time that what I would like to say is worthy of discussion.

How can I transfer who I was as a professor to who I am in management meetings?



Life was MUCH easier without the introspection that colors me so these days...

No comments: