Tuesday, May 10, 2005

"You have lipstick on your tooth."

Were I to ask you how you know that you are supported at work, would the statement above come to mind?

Today, we had some pretty important visitors to one of our properties. I arrived first, and took the opportunity to shoot some photos of the buildings. [Always I am thinking of the web site!] The president and the chairman of our board arrived next. The visitors were late in arriving, so the two of them took the opportunity to discuss the thousand and one pressing matters before our organization just now. But once the chairman stepped aside to take a phone call, the president came over to chat with me. A few moments into the conversation, he casually pointed out that I had lipstick on my teeth and kept on talking. I rubbed my finger across my teeth, and when he finished what he had been saying, he said that I had got it and then went on to talk about something else with work.

For a few moments, I found it difficult to follow the conversation. I've only known him for a few weeks and he's our new CEO, yet he didn't let me go greet those federal visitors with lipstick on my teeth. And he let me know in such a way that held no embarrassment for me. A quiet, nonchalant comment.

Now if that is not support...what is?

It was a sweet moment...and a good day.

No comments: