Monday, August 01, 2005

I just counted 22 more welts on the backs of my thighs. That makes for a total of 119. I am trying hard not to scratch...

Madison is setting on the eggs just now while Fancy is preening herself. Because neither of them have yet learned to build a nest, leaving the eggs exposed on the bottom of the cage, the eggs never mature. 'Tis a pity since both of them work so hard at setting on them.

Recently, I built a "tent" out of a TV guide and a wooden bar in the corner of their cage, which the birds really enjoy. They moved the next set of eggs there and worked hard on keeping them warm, still not understanding the need for a nest.

Once the eggs start to dry up inside, they usually break beneath the weight of the bird sitting on them at the time. Of course, this means the egg usually gets stuck to their chest feathers and I have to soak them in water to loosen the egg. Neither Fancy nor Madison take kindly to my efforts to free them from the egg. Occasionally, when they take off from the cage in flight, the abrupt motion will be enough to loosen the broken egg. Such was the case this morning.

Of course, I didn't have to worry about picking up the cracked egg and throwing it away because Kashi promptly pounced on it and ate it.

Since Madison and Fancy joined my family, I have been less inclined to eat eggs myself. Kashi has no problem with doing so.

No comments: