Thursday, August 25, 2005

Today I wrote a letter to the editor of The Wall Street Journal under the name of the president of the company. This is the third time I've drafted such a letter. One of the other two was published. He does edit them for me, teaching me in the process...the language of real estate, the craftsmanship of OpEd pieces.

I want to learn this language, this genre. Although, I suspect much of this process will be learning to set aside my own literary likes and dislikes, my own diction and cadence. Never has the idea of "less is more" been more applicable.

I was intimidated about even suggesting we respond to an article in this publication. I happen to think getting published there would be a coup, but I know the changes are a long-shot. Perhaps, though, the attempt itself might play a role in getting out the message about affordable housing anyway.

I am satisfied with what I wrote (especially after his edits, his tweaks of my words and slashes of my passionate portions). Though I must admit that I am anxious about the response of my boss. She is such a talented writer. What if she finds it juvenile? Unfocused? A poor attempt?

I also wonder, if I am able to conquer this genre, when I look back at this piece if I, myself, might think it so.

For now, I am satisfied with the work I did today...and I am thankful once more that my job allows me to write, to explore and improve my own literacy skills.

No comments: