Sunday, August 28, 2005

My father came over for breakfast and a visit to the $5.50 DVD bin at Wal-Mart. While we were there, I had planned to purchase another hibachi because mine had rusted through in just a year. However, the grill that he had thought I should get early in the summer, was now half-priced.

I have been keeping my eye on one that was quite a bit more, but was a consumer best buy and fit all my grilling objectives. However, it was a serious depletion of cash. The one my father picked out was more of a hibachi on a stand with a substantial heat distribution cover and a connection to a propane tank (no more of those little propane cylinders). I pointed out the rather small cooking area and that there was no second rack for vegetables, but he asked me if there was someone else in my life since he knew Kashi wouldn't be eating any chicken. He also pointed out that it would mean no more bending over. Even though it was all stainless steel and rather easy on the eyes, I just couldn't see spending the money on such a small grill (even though I have no one else for whom to grill).

However, at half-price, it is essentially just two-and-a-half times the cost of a hibachi and will certainly last much longer. So, we brought it home and put it together (boy was I glad he was with me) and then he rather patiently moved it about the deck as I shifted the fountain, a bush, and several plants to find the best arrangement. The view outside my kitchen door and window is now quite pleasant, but the one outside the dining area sports a view of the back side of the grill. I opted for a pretty kitchen view since most of my "dining" takes place on the couch.

It took me over an hour to break down the packaging for the grill and will have to fight with the lock on the front gate to set out the garbage tomorrow, which is a bit of a drag. But, when I awoke this morning, I did not expect that I would finally have a grill after seven years of window shopping!

Now, I just have to inaugurate it...Chicken anyone?

No comments: