Saturday, August 05, 2006

My friend G_ finally returned home. Her wonderful husband spurred the family on in arriving before dark so that she could see "my present." She loved it!

Even though it was quite late and they were exhausted, I popped by their house on the way home from my father's house to revel in her enjoyment. I felt like a kid in a candy store. I wanted so very much to find something that would let her know how special she is to me and how much I appreciate her staunch support to this rather beleaguered, unemployed person. Mulching her yard definitely sent the message home.

My writing student, K_, also enjoyed her graduation present. It is really insane to have bought it now, when I have no job and she has another year of school to go, but I have been searching for the past two years for the perfect gift and didn't want to lose the opportunity of a recent discovery. I had left it in her bedroom to find when she came home.

So, there I sat in their kitchen, after making G_ tour the yard with me and listen to me wax poetically on how much I enjoyed doing this for her, listening to their vacation tales. They gave me some gifts for watering their yard during their absence, and I confessed that I only used the excuse of watering to get their key because, at the time, I was still trying to figure out how I was going to surprise G_.

They brought me salt water taffy, without even knowing that I am quite greedy about the stuff. Before going to bed tonight, I have already tried each flavor in the box...twice! I prefer the white ones best and the peppermint ones second best...in case anyone is wondering.

She also supported my Dr. Pepper habit and threw in a bottle of wine that I had enjoyed at their house and looked for unsuccessfully while at the store twice. The wine was almost an embarrassment of riches, but I accepted it readily enough. I rarely drink, but this wine was most satisfying and something I would actually open for just myself.

I thought I would just about die...waiting all day for them to return...but the wait was definitely worth it. The whole P_ family is worth its weight in gold and one of the richest blessings that God has ever showered upon me. Five years of love, laughter, encouragement, admiration, and wisdom given from the least to the eldest of this family of seven is a precious gift...not to mention the five children who continually honor me and humble me with their willingness to play games with me!

Now...if they would only let me win more...

No comments: