Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A mere 4 hours and 45 minutes later, I have finally updated the maps on my Magellan!

Little did I know that this would be such a difficult task. Had I known, I still would have ordered the update. Had I known, I might have saved the arduous work until later. However, once started, I had to finish.

The good part about the update is that the software came with an AC adapter for my GPS unit. The 6000T has been great for me, even if I still get lost since I can be a bit doltish at times about following its directions. "Recalculating" and "When possible, make a legal u-turn" are phrases I hear far more often than I would like. My only wee disappointment was that it did not come with a charger for the house, only one for the car.

Over the past year and a half, I have toyed with the idea of buying one, but I didn't have to have it. I just wanted it for the convenience.

For the most part, I have been rather diligent at putting the majority of my money, even holiday gifts, toward my debt. When I have strayed, it has been to get something for B's computer or to take a colleague to a much needed lunch. I did spend a smidgen more than my Amazon.Com gift certificates totaled at Christmas. But those books have been quite helpful in keeping me occupied at home and not out engaged in activities that take money. This is in part due to my policy that if I get a new book in a series, I must re-read all the ones I have before opening the new one.

Anyhow, patience paid off in this instance because I got one for "free" with this upgrade. Of course, the charger is a necessary part of the update process since it took so blooming long!

~~~~
If you read B's blog, you will be happy to know that I have gotten her XP properly installed and Office re-installed (a better version). It sure is great to have IT folk as friends. I still need to update XP, but for that I need the installation disc for her wireless adapter since her laptop does not have an ethernet port. I am HOPING that when she arrives with the disc on Friday, the update will be a mere afterthought and not another computing ordeal. That way, we can play on-line Scrabble while she is in the green chair and I am on the couch!

If you are keeping track, she won four games in a row before I finally won again. I am in those dreaded 500's. Her favorite word from today's game: afloat.

~~~~
My legs turned into watery noodles this morning, just as I arrived at work. I felt several times before coming home. Between the constant headache and the blurred vision, I should have known something was coming. Even though I told my co-workers that I had MS, I do not think that it really registered with any of them. They were a bit taken aback as I struggled to get around before heading home.

B has been great at getting rid of her germs for our visit. I would hate to be hobbling around while she is here. Her most wonderful mother is taking over the care of her children straight from work on Friday so that B can leave earlier in the afternoon. Three days of games, gal time, and movies galore!

No comments: