Friday, February 08, 2008

You know, sometimes I feel like my obsession with avoiding smokers is taken a bit oddly by those around me. Today, I was in Costco with co-workers shopping for the upcoming training session when the issue arose.

We were sitting down enjoying a slice a pizza with our shopping done, when I smelled smoke. Now, smoking is not allowed in Costco, so I was a bit puzzled. The acrid smell triggered that familiar tickle at the back of my throat, and I thought about my inhaler back in my bag at work. I swiveled my head around trying to figure out who was the source of my potential distress so that I might effect a strategic retreat. I couldn't spot the problem and nervously bent over my pizza again. I was loathe to leave it, finding Costco pizza most tasty, but I did not relish the thought of another asthma battle. My co-workers kept telling me not to worry, but I did start a mild cough.

The problem, as near I could tell, turned out to be a very old man who was wearing smoke tainted clothing. He was wandering around, and when he came close, I was overwhelmed with the smell of smoke.


When I see smokers, I will often cross the street. If I have to pass them, say to enter a building, I will take a deep breath, cover my mouth and nose, and hustle by as quickly as possible. If I enter a restaurant that has too much smoke, I will turn around and leave. I feel badly doing so when I am with people, especially since going to restaurants has virtually been eliminated from my existence given the financial strain from which I have been recovering. Basically, I only go when I am being treated to a fine meal.

It bothers me, deeply, when I catch flack for doing so. My brother and my father, by whom I have been treated the most since I lost my job nearly two years ago, are the worst about chidding me about my worries about second hand smoke. My dad just doesn't remember with his cognitive difficulties. I think that my brother just doesn't care.

Anyhow, I read this article today about a teenager who died from an acute asthma attack shortly after arriving at a smoky bar where she worked. She had struggled with her asthma several times in the past year or so. She also avoided her meds unless she was feeling the symptoms. However, none of that should have resulted in her death.

The whole reason smoking has been banned in public places is that we know second-hand smoke kills. When you hear this, you think: Oh, yeah...lung cancer. However, second-hand smoke can be deadly for asthmatics.

I guess I am writing all this to say that I found the article quite sobering. Sometimes, I feel pressured to not be so vigilant in looking out for smokers. Today, I thought that perhaps I have been too lax of late. Dangerously so...

No comments: