Sunday, August 31, 2008

The great work of this day was much yard work...on top of that which was done hastily ahead of my step-father's arrival.

After much clipping and pruning, another mow and edge, some weeding, and copious amount of bagging, the yard had a good once-over--that once every few years of cutting EVERYTHING back and setting things to right.

I ought to have taken a photograph of the EIGHT bags of cuttings, but then I would have a permanent reminder of my exhaustion.

Another less-than-pleasant conversation ensued this day, but I did manage to walk away and plunge into the labors awaiting me. After a long while of what could be called sulking, Mother joined me to pursue her plans for the yard. I would be remiss were I not to admit that while I had dreaded more exhausting activity during her visit, I welcomed the opportunity for escape after our exchange.

In the morning, my parents had gone to visit the new air and space museum in Chantilly. I very much wanted to accompany them because I have yet to venture out there and the original air and space museum is second in my esteem only to the natural history museum (the former is tied in second place with the American History Museum...because whilst I love all things air and space, the portion of ENIAC is housed there is a marvel I enjoy meditating on...the first computer could not even fit in one room and could only do simple computations, whereas I carry around in my purse two pieces of sophisticated technology that have microchips that blow that beloved machine out of scientific waters). The latter has a most satisfying collection of rocks and minerals and an assortment of meteorites that you can touch with your own fingertips--a chance to reach out to the stars!

However, after the stress and work of her visit thus far, I needed some serious sleep. I did not arise until nearly 1:30. My parents were long gone at that point.

They arrived about an hour later, too late--in my mother's opinion--to visit the national arboretum. Mother was quite upset about this, even though I pointed out that we could just go in the morning.

Two days to go...

No comments: