Saturday, August 23, 2008

It is 9:30 and all is quiet on the western front. I am so tired that I long for bed even though it is too early for my night-owl-nature, but it is too many steps from the couch where I collapsed after putting D's three children to be.

She and J are off at a wedding; I am holding down the fort.

M1 is nothing short of brilliant, six-going-on-seven and already reading. I taught him the game of Sorry, and he won the first one through getting the right cards and SLAUGHTERED me in the next three games through a wickedly clever use of strategy. He studied each card, weighing the options to move he had, and then chose the ones that put me further behind or placed one of his men in home. Sometimes he would mutter to himself as he considered the moves, which fascinated me, even while I HATED losing to him. He, on the other hand, thoroughly enjoyed beating me.

Each of us, Z included, won a round of Uno, and I won Go Fish. M1 was quick to point out that it was only by one match.

A funny thing happened on the walk back from the beach. I wasn't thinking that they would go on the beach and get all sandy (silly me) since they were just showing me where it was. Yet once we arrived, nothing would do but for them to fling off their shoes, roll of their pants, and stand in the surf, happily digging their toes into the sand.

I was a bit surprised to see that M2 had absolutely no interest in even being on the beach. At first, I thought it was just because of her new shoes. After I tied Kashi to a post since he was not allowed on the beach, I followed the children down the board walk, in a state of near glee thinking of the photos that I would soon be able to take.

After snapping a way for a few minutes, I realized M2 was not with us. I turned around to see her standing on the last step of the board walk, shouting something that was lost in the pleasant breeze thankfully cooling us all.

Picking my own way carefully through the sand, I returned to her side and learned the word she kept repeating was "Shoes!" She was right. Z had put on M2's sparkling new turquoise tennis shoes. I quickly pulled them off and set them aside, expecting M2 to immediately toddle over to her siblings. I was mistaken. One step into the sand was enough for her. M2 vehemently left off a stream of what sounded like a irate scolding that I would actually place her in a situation where her toes would get dirty. Thankfully, a row of chairs lined the back side of the private beach. Once I plopped her in one, she immediately became all smiles, happily watching from afar.

One of my favorite photos is this one here of the two M's. M1 and Z have always been quite caring of their youngest sibling. From time to time, M1 would leave the surf and check on M2. A pat on the head, a kiss on the cheek, or just a touch on the shoulder, and then he would return to his own enjoyment.

This is one of the reasons I believe D is a most amazing mother. Yes, her children argue. M1 does not always believe that he should share as much as the adults around him believe he should. And each of her children have very decided opinions about their own lives. But, when push comes to shove, they are all loving and caring and supportive of each other. Case in point: M2 wailed her anguish over her Mother's departure for a good 20 minutes. M1 and Z stayed at her side the whole time in an attempt to console her. Each offered their own advice. Z thought I should pick her up. M1 thought I should take her to see Fancy. Neither suggestion made a bit of difference, yet neither sibling was discouraged over his/her failure. They recognized their sister was in need and took care of her. That is what siblings ought to do for each other. I admit, it was difficult for me to witness such love between them because I found myself thinking sadly about how, even now when my own siblings are grown and mature, I do not have one thousandth of love and support and encouragement that was displayed before me.

Anyhow, back to the beach.

Afterward, no one wanted to wear their shoes. I was carrying M2's shoes (she's not yet 2) and M (6) and Z (5) each had the burden of their own shoes. After a few announcements--each one louder than the last--that he needed someone to carry his shoes, M1 walked over to his youngest sister and gave them to M2. Much to my amusement, she just started carrying them.

M1 then observed, rather loudly, how smart he was since he wasn't carrying any shoes. Z thought about the situation a bit and then walked over to M2. Z plucked M1's shoes out of her sister's hands and then gave M2 her shoes. Since Z's were her new tennis shoes and his were an old pair of flip flops, she promptly put his on her feet, announcing equally loudly that she was rather smart since she now didn't have to carry any shoes either.

Poor M2 just trotted along beside us, carrying shoes that were nearly as big as she was...or so it seemed.

Since I was carrying two cameras and Kashi, who had gotten tuckered out from the three-legged walk to the beach, I just left the toddler bearing the load. Of course, I did manage to snap a few photos of her doing so. We all had a good laugh at the ingenuity of M1 and Z.

About a half of a block from D's house, M2 stopped in the middle of the road and sat down. It was patently clear that she believed she had walked far enough during our outing. Recognizing that I needed a bit of help, M2 offered to take the shoes I was holding, and Z offered to take Kashi's leash for me. Once all of our burdens were shifted, we started back home once more.

After a few steps, Z announced that she couldn't figure out why she was so perfect at walking a dog when this was the very first time she had done so. Seeing that she was neither tugging on Kashi's leash or dragging him behind her (something B's daughter E does rather too often), I agreed with her that she did appear to have the talent of dog-walking. I added that since her mother was so brilliant that the skill most undoubtedly came from her genes. M1 grew quiet at our exchange.

Just as we stepped upon the grass of D's side yard, M1 announced it was his opinion that none of his brilliance could have come from his mother since he was the one doing all the learning on his part. My rather loud guffaw most certainly startled the neighbors. I couldn't help myself. Bent over in laughter, I continued to gasp and chuckle and fervently hope I would not trigger an asthma attack. M1 walked over to me and patted me on my shoulder. "It's okay," M1 said comfortingly, "We all get things wrong from time to time."

Oh, how I love D's children!

Being the responsible babysitter, I insisted that everyone hose off their feet before we went back inside the house. Well, one thing let to another, and soon all three children were squealing with laughter as they soaked each other. It started innocently enough with M1 offering to hold the hose. He did a respectable job on M2's chubby little toes, so I told him he could go ahead and take care of Z while I took Kashi on inside. When I came back, M2 mysteriously was wet from head to toe and Z's feet were still rather sandy.

I stripped off M2's dress and left her in a diaper while Z cleaned off her own feet, since M1 had rather graciously handed over the sprayer. When she spotted her sister free from the restriction of clothing, Z somehow managed to soak her own shirt and pants. M1 didn't bother getting himself wet before stripping off his shirt and shorts once he saw both his sisters in their underwear, enjoying the water under the waning summer sun.

I am not sure what the neighbors thought since I was howling with laughter at their antics far louder than they and all of the children were a bit bare. Of course, I had to race back inside to fetch one of the cameras and happily snapped away as the three children "watered" the grass, the car, and each other.

I should point out that while M2 had as much or even more fun than her siblings, she was the one who ended up dripping from head to toe, with nary a dry spot on her person.

While I did capture some priceless photos during the impromptu water sport, I opted not to share them here since there are far too many predators out there who would most certainly use them in the wrong way.

Well, the children are all asleep, mine included, and I am off to see if I can get a bit of work done before I join them in rest. Before I do, I must admit that I had earnestly wanted to tell D that I just couldn't help her out this weekend because I am so very, very tired and have been working long hours of late. I am in pain and am worried about my prescription. Let me do it another time, I wanted to tell her.

This morning, whilst packing--and trembling and sweating already--I kept rehearsing how I could beg off at the last moment, even knowing that rice crispy treats and deviled eggs were waiting for me at D's house (I didn't know about the Dr. Pepper that was chilling for me, too), but leaving her in the lurch was unacceptable.

D is not even here, but the power of her spirit reigns in her home. She has built a family at its truest definition, despite the abuse she endured at the hand and mouth of her ex-husband. Spending time in her home is like have your soul wrapped securely in a down comforter and rocked slowly back and forth. In her absence, I am tended to by her children. I am safe. I am loved. I am wanted.

She believes that I am doing her the favor...yet I am the one reaping the reward.


NOTE: While I did manage to pack for the overnight trip in just 93 minutes and brought only 2 duffles, 1 backpack, 2 pillows, 1 doggy bed, and 1 bird cage (approximately 1/4 of what I take to B's these days), I did discover that I forgot three very important items:

  1. The cover to Fancy's cage. [She is scared of the dark and is quite distressed at night without it.]
  2. Kashi's prescription food. [I did bring an opened can of chilli instead of the open can of his food. I fed him pizza.]
  3. My shoes. [Somehow, I got into the car wearing my house slippers.]


No comments: