Thursday, August 21, 2008

Writing Student K gave me a most magnificent gift today: access to archived files of the Idaho Statesmen that cover the period of my historical Christian fiction novel!

I had hired her to conduct a close edit/review of the text, something I have wanted before sending it off to the rejection-laden world of publishing.

In my lap now, I have 396 pages of heavily marked pages and another two pages of notations. I need to steel my ego for the "cut the sap" comments she warned were sprinkled throughout the story, but I am most excited about setting about a solid revision of a story I believe needs telling.

K worked through an overview of her impressions, and we discussed places where I can fill in the story. While Googling information, she logged onto her college library website and discovered the historical newspaper section. We immediately began envisioning a few scenes where Megan and Graham discuss the current news. I had found a list of famous horses and thought that Graham ought to trot them out in conversation from time to time, perhaps in awkward moments when he did not know how to respond to Megan.

"Nelson would have never behaved this way."

"Nelson?'

"Surely, you've heard of Nelson?"

"I do not know a Nelson. Did you work with him on the ranch?"

"No! He George Washington's faithful companion who carried him into battle at Valley Forge and Yorktown, and most importantly, when the British surrendered!"

"Oh, another one of your horse heroes!"

Can you not just see it? Add registers of sighing and rolling eyes and confusion and you will have a silly moment that can be woven again and again into the story.

On August 29, 1891, there was a notice about a horse that was a trapeze artist. Megan could tell Graham he should add it to his "list" of famous horses, only to find Graham incensed that a horse would be treated that way.

Oh, my, I cannot wait to start researching the newspaper archives!

Alas, though, I have to work tomorrow, babysit Saturday and Sunday, and mow, edge, weed whack, vacuum, dust, Windex, wipe, etc. on Monday for my mother's visit on Tuesday. When will I have a chance to throw myself back into their world???

1 comment:

ftwayne96 said...

Ah, a Mother visit!