Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Not quite bald...


I went to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for the fifth time in the past seven days.  On the way back to my car, I spotted a banner hanging over the place where I got my hair cut four weeks ago announcing a $5.99 sale.  Since my bangs are hanging in my eyes, I decided to go see my new good buddy Amber before heading back home to curl up in the GREEN chair with Amos. Even wearing clips in my hair to pull it back from my eyes hurts my head.

Last night was another night of misery.  By that I mean there was much writhing in nausea and abdominal pain and no comfortable spot to ease the pain in my head the slightest bit could be found.  I do believe that I would be safe in pronouncing that my body or my other medications do not care for migraine miracle medication Topamax.  By way of protest, I spend about 16 hours of each day nauseous, from two hours after I take the medication until about six hours before I am due to take it again.  This has made nights harder...as have the now constant headaches.  Hence, the misery.

I opened my mouth to ask Amber to trim my bangs and instead found myself asking that she cut more of my hair.  Another three inches is gone!  For someone who had hair well below her waist just a short while ago, I am in shock.  I am also, however, so bloody tired of even my hair hurting.

How long has it been since I have slept more than I have been awake?  SIGH.  Curled in the GREEN chair, I regularly drop off for a while because I am so utterly exhausted and the pain in my head is better when I am upright.  Only the activity outside regularly inspires Amos to vocally guard me...which makes sleeping for any length of time impossible.  Upstairs, at night, there is no guarding, but the nausea and cramps and pain make sleeping for any length of time impossible.

This morning, I started antibiotics, in the hopes that my seven-week-old stuffed nose, ear pain, bleeding nose, green discharge is a sinus infection that is, at least in part, contributing to constant headache that remains between migraines...the constant headache that neither Imitrex, Ibuprophen, aspirin, Tylenol, or Aleve touches in the slightest bit...and not merely some lingering part of the virus I had.  The longer I lie down, the more stuffed up I become, the greater the pressure in my head, ears, and face, and the less I can breathe.  The more stuffed up I become, the greater the pressure in my head, ears, and face, and the less I can breathe, the less I am able to sleep.  So, I am most fervently hoping that by Friday I shall be posting all hail the antibiotic! 

I truly do believe that if I could just sleep some more, I could handle the nausea and pain better. I truly do believe that if I could just sleep some more, I could accept life with migraines a bit easier. And I know that if I could just sleep some more I would be a much, much, much less grumpy (not to mention gloomy) child of God. I might even find the strength to keep from picking up a razor and just shaving my head bald.

Seriously...hair simply should not hurt, right?


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

6 comments:

ftwayne96 said...

One (possibly irreverent) question: Why is the chair always "GREEN," but the sinus discharge merely "green"? Seems stylistically inconsistent. . . ;-)

ftwayne96 said...

Two verification words now! It's getting harder and harder to prove I'm not a robot.

Becky said...

Is there a photo of that wonder job Amber did?

I know it pains you to have the hair and to not have it.

Myrtle said...

Fred and Ethel keep asking for one and I keep telling them to come for a visit and take one. The truth is, this last cut was too deep for my heart. It is better for the weight on my head, but I miss my long hair, I miss my braids more than words can express. Truly. I suppose I am just not ready for a photo.

ftwayne96 said...

Braids or not, we still think the world of you!

The words by which I prove I'm not a robot are Ramet Narcher. Sounds like the name of someone from a Sci Fi novel.

Myrtle said...

Fred, the reason for the lower case "green" was because I was vacillating on even including the description in the post and was sort of hoping no one would notice. I should not have forgotten about Old Eagle Eye.

Thanks for the encouragement about my missing braids...