Thursday, February 09, 2012

Thanks Bettina for your ideas...


Someone who recently had gestational diabetes helped explain that orange juice is a known dipper, meaning that it would quickly raise my blood sugar, but would make it plummet again later without real protein to counteract the quick rise.  I am surprised, still, that the cheese and nuts did not help.  However, first she and then the doctor recommended glucose tablets instead of any juice.  So, I bought some raspberry flavored ones.  They are huge!  I have also heard they are quite chalky.  [For the record, I put them in the basket on the counter with my meter.]  As far as real groceries, the grapes, carrots, asparagus, and yogurt were all on sale.  I also bought some spinach dip, bananas, and sliced meats.  I still need more creativity in eating small meals that are more protein than carbohydrates.

I tried to think hard about reducing pricing on groceries and forewent things I would normally buy.  Still, I spent more than I thought I had in my five shopping bags ($124).  Of course I bought some more Ginger ale (that is NEVER on sale), cranberry juice, Cheerios, and milk.  I also needed toilet paper, Kleenex, and a Brita filter.  In addition to the other items, I bought some more eggs, peanut butter, sunflower seeds, and the things to make my own trail mix, because if I have to keep using that as a recovery option, making my own will be much cheaper than the handy packets I bought last time.  Since I had some cream cheese sitting in the back of the refrigerator, I bought some half-sized bagels that I found.  It might sound strange, but I remembered that I used to like bagel sandwiches of cream cheese and grilled chicken. When I was done at the first store, I was too bloody exhausted to go to the other store where I buy chicken, laundry detergent, and the chalupa shells.  Normally, I would have just shopped there, but I needed new test strips.

I see the doctor on Monday.  She recommended a decongestant that should not affect my blood pressure and said that she wanted to do an CT scan of my head.  However, don't you think that is overkill?  I mean, how about a round of antibiotics first?  I told her I could not afford the scan, so I would try the different decongestant even though I think 5 weeks of decongestant is excessive.  My goodness, I really do think that I have a sinus infection.  The main reason I called, though, was that I have had a sudden onset of pain in my elbows, wrists, and hands.  I have been ignoring it for a few weeks, but it makes sleeping hard.  I find it strange since I am on Celebrex, but taking aspirin, aleve, tylenol, and motrin have all not helped the pain at all.

Fred wrote such kind words on my post about how hard it must be to have to think about food all the time when eating is such a natural thing to do.  That was encouraging, for I really am discouraged.  I do think creating a magnetic chart on the refrigerator will be helpful to me in remembering and varying what I eat.  But I wish I could just stop thinking and planning and, well, worrying about eating.  And, frankly, I simply do not understand how I can eat a Chili's shake and yet a Wendy's frosty makes me rather ill. I do not understand how I can eat a Reese's peanut butter cup, two Ghirardelli squares of strawberry chocolate, pumpkin cookies, or a slice of pound cake, but I cannot eat a Ding Dong without my pancreas trying to kill me.

I do think that if I have to continue testing my blood sugar as much as I have done of late, I need to get a tattoo of a red circle with a slash through it on my ring finger of my left hand.  There is a wonky nerve in that finger and when I forget and prick it, I am hard pressed to keep from screaming from the initial pain and am bothered by the reduced level of pain that lingers for several days.  Of course, I am sure that the tattoo would probably hurt, too!

The up shot of today's outing?  I was bemoaning my drastically low supply of Dr Pepper last night...the cost of getting more when I really should give up this beloved luxury.  However, when I went to get the grocery bags out of the back of the Highlander, I discovered 10 boxes of Dr Pepper.  I suddenly remembered that two weeks ago I found it on sale, priced $2.50 off a case, nearly two for the price of one.  I bought all they had.  I just forgot that I did so between buying it and coming home.

SIGH.

Though I do not expect the pain in my arms/hands to magically disappear tonight, I am hoping that I shall have an crash free evening.  Who knows, perhaps the new decongestant will help me sleep despite wanting to amputate my elbows at least.  Frankly, don't you think elbows should not hurt????


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

3 comments:

Becky said...

When you're crashing, is it necessary to test, since you know you are crashing? Or could the crashing be from another issue? Or do you need to keep track of what the levels are when you crash?

Myrtle said...

Good question. If I am certain that is what is happening, then it is not strictly necessary.

The problem comes when I am nauseous, sweaty, and trembling from low blood pressure or when I am disorientated, shaky, and feeling ill from being too warm. If it is from blood pressure or heat, I do not need to be loading up on sugar, for doing so will only make me crash later. I honestly cannot tell what is going on so very often. And what frightens me is that by the time I do put two and two together it is very late in the process to be addressing the issue. I would add, though, that I am not officially crashing from low blood sugar without a test showing the low number.

By the way, I had carrots and peanut butter as my last "meal" of the evening yesterday. How in the world did I forget that I really like carrots and peanut butter? The meal before that was tomato soup in honor of you! Boy, do I wish there could have been a grilled cheese sandwich beside the cup....

Now that Amos is fed, we are both headed back to bed. I shall be dreaming of the asparagus I shall be having for my breakfast later on today.

Becky said...

Again...carrots and peanut butter? Very questionable combination, indeed!

I suppose there is no food you could eat when crashing that would help the low blood sugar if it was that, but not mess you up if it wasn't?