Thursday, February 20, 2014

Exhausted is the new Myrtle...


A part of me is wondering if how exhausted I am is some sort of new normal.  Of course, I could blame the exhaustion partly on the pharmacist (innards writhing is still my nightly battle) and partly on Magellan.  Yes. I tried.  The directions were flawed.  In short—to spare you the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth—it is not possible to update Maggie on a new MAC. I need an old one.  And, thus, I did not need to buy that micro SD card.  SIGH.

I worked out some of my upsettedness and distracted myself from my innards last night by spending eons painstakingly entering in the most common destinations in my life into the One-Touch buttons on my GPS.  Maggie was not feeling any love for me, but she mostly cooperated.

And then, today, having nothing more than nap and try to make a decision on a medical ID bracelet I decided that even though I did not actually need to make any more muffins yet, I would.




These strawberry muffins are just marvelous!




In my opinion, the recipe is slightly off for 12 muffins.  Look at how humongous these are!  And ... well ... there was still enough batter left in the bowl for someone (who shall remain nameless) to lick enough batter that would have filled another cup.

I happen to think that they also look a bit uncooked, but they are not. I did use the full 30 minutes, since they are so big.  But when I stuck a toothpick in the center of six of them (I was not really trusting the toothpick because of their appearance) it came out clean each and every time.  I used the ultra grain (hybrid flour) with these.  And, when I sampled the culinary endeavor, the muffin was fully cooked inside.

Oh, the taste of fresh strawberries in a muffin!!

My dilemma at the moment is: 1) eat the rest of the fresh strawberries or 2) make another batch of muffins.  I think I might just assume that there are not quite enough strawberries left to fill a measuring cup and eat them fresh on the morrow for breakfast.  Sounds like a good idea, eh?

This is the first time that I have ever cooked with almond extract.  Part of me was wondering why almonds do not taste as good as the extract smelled.  Another part of me wondered what would happen if I simply switched out the almond extract for Amaretto....

So, really, other than napping, you are looking at my sole accomplishment of the day.  Really, it is actually a rather large accomplishment, if you think about it.  You see, I only ate one of them.  Ten others are in the freezer and the twelfth is waiting for Michelle to come back from choir practice.  It is her birthday today.

[Sharing tastiness that you would rather keep all for yourself is much, much, much easier when it is someone's birthday.]

In case you were wondering, the Great Melt of 2014 did not materialize.  We had a bit of intense rain this morning, but then it was primarily dry all day.  Only one channel in the basement had a bit of water.  Amos is still hindered in his major business by mounds and mounds and mounds of snow in the back yard.  And we have but two more days of above-freezing temperatures before heading back down toward single digits at night.


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

No comments: