Sunday, February 09, 2014

I'm in love with Hanson...


I'm in love with Hanson.
Howard Hanson.
Symphony No. 2, Romantic.




Amos is not in love with snow.
This is the only section the the yard that is not completely covered in snow.
Can you guess what he is thinking??

Despite yet another 3 or 4 inches of snow yesterday, Sandra played chauffeur for Becky and I so that we could go to the symphony and not worry about Becky trying to park in an unfamiliar city.  When the snow started falling—lightly, but persistent—I really struggled with a bit of despair, even though I am blissfully happy with my best friend and her mother here.  I am ever so weary of the need to shovel.  And I was worried that Sandra would not really wish to brave life and limb traversing our very much so un-plowed neighborhood streets.  But Sandra is a Minnesotan.  We still haven't had enough snow to truly trouble her.

Franz Liszt's Les Préludes, the opening piece in the first half of the performance, was simply lovely.  Although it has no individual segments, it felt as if it did, moving seamlessly between distinct bits.  I really liked it and thought the evening might be better than I had anticipated.

The second piece, Max Bruch's Scottish Fantasy, Opus 46, a work for the violin, was surprisingly not something I truly enjoyed.  I do not think that I have any Scots in my genetic pool, for all those folk-song-inspired movements were simply not my cup of tea.  This surprised me because I was delighted to see that we were to have another guest violinist.  I could tell that the piece was challenging for the violinist, but I did not really appreciate the sounds her violin was making.

The second half of the performance was actually two pieces:  Hector Berlioz's Hungarian March from The Damnation of Faust and Howard Hanson's Symphony No. 2, Romantic.  Now, I have been re-watching Inspector Morse, who at one point tries to school Detective Lewis on Berlioz, so I was excited that I was going to be hearing something from him.  This performance was also done with the Philharmonic Youth Orchestra side by side with the adults.  A very well-played and vigorous performance!

And then.
And then Hanson.
I'm in love with Hanson!

If you were to choose just one piece of classical music to represent "Myrtle's classical music,"  this would most definitely, most assuredly be the one.  I truly wish I knew music well so that I could know what would be a really great recording/performance of Hanson's symphony so that I could buy the MP3 of it.  I believe it would be simply wonderful to have for when I awake from nightmares and night terrors.

The piece has this haunting three-note motif that sounded as if it were coming from a woodwind, specifically the oboe.  [Oh, how I love the oboe!]  But it was not.  For the entire first movement, I tried to figure out what instrument was making them.  They called to me, pulled me from my life and wrapped themselves around me and took me to a peaceful, blissful place.  Finally ... finally ... I discover that it was the French Horn!  The bloody French Horn was masquerading as an oboe!  Who knew a French Horn could be so incredibly beautiful??

I'm in love with Hanson.

After the Rachmaninoff performance, I was most certain that going to the symphony could not get any better. I was wrong.  I'm in love with Hanson.  And I am in awe of the performance last night.  Truly, Fort Wayne has a most excellent orchestra.  Truly world class.  In this middle-of-no-where-small-city.  Shockingly wonderful.

For me, the performance was also wonderful because I had someone to share it with me.  Whilst Becky is not exactly a classical music person, she is a Myrtle person and wanted to come with me.  Would that it were I had someone to share such beauty each and every time.  SIGH.

It was a most lovely evening ... if you forget the part about where I completely and utterly ruined the Thai Honey Peanut Chicken, nearly killing Bettina and her mother via sodium overdose.  SIGH.

Today, I awoke to Becky having shoveled the sidewalks and ordered pizza.  Is that not a great way to follow up on a spectacular evening?  Add to that that I finally won Phase 10 (we played an alternative format) and that both Becky and her mother liked my stew and you have a really great day.

I shall need to soak up every Becky- and Bonnie-filled moment on the morrow, for they shall be journeying back to Pennsylvania early Tuesday morning.  SIGH.


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

No comments: