Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Holy Cow...


Holy cow!  I have access to Luther's Works again!

After bemoaning the lack of access on my blog a while ago, a reader suggested I try Logos.  Everything I read, though, seemed to say that I would need to buy the base program.  Buy.  As in spend money.  Given that I am still not over the shock of having spent $200 on Luther's Works back when I was still working, the thought of spending any money on technology for ... oh ... maybe two years is a bit despairing to me.  So, I set aside hope.  Then, I was bemoaning again about Luther's Works to a friend who reminded me that the MAC world operates on apps as well as software.  Last night, I found the free MAC Logos app and downloaded it to my computer.  Today, I girded my loins and installed it to see what would happen.

Nothing.
Then I tried to create a Logos account.
Nothing.

After weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, I girded my loins once more and actually called the 1-800 Logos number.  It turns out that the reason I could not create an account was that my Libronix account was co-opted (okay ... acquired) by Logos without my knowing it.  A simple password reset was the obstacle to getting the app installed.

Then ... magic happened.
Real magic.
True magic.

Yes, folks, all I had to do was sign in and every single one of my Libronix licenses was verified, registered to the new app, and then downloaded to my computer!!!!!  Holy Cow!!

I have Luther's Works.
I have The Lutheran Study Bible.
I have CPH's Book of Concord.
I have Tappert's Book of Concord.
I even have the King James Bible with the Apocrypha.

Being an ex-evangelical, the latter creeps me out so much that I wish I did not have it in my program.  Right now, just typing that gives me the heebie-jeebies.  You see, evangelicals see the apocrypha as something akin to the number 666.  Or thereabouts.  SHUDDER.

Do you know what gave me the impetus to do all that girding of loins?  [Yes, you guessed it.]  Organizing, reducing, and donating!

You see, the insurance company called to say that the new hormones are now authorized and I will not have to pay cash for them any more (I need 18 packs a year to stay on them daily).  I also got emails back from both the cardiologist nurse and the female surgeon nurse (I discovered she was on the same system) thanking me for setting up the account and checking in with them.  I am on Day Three of the "danger zone" and there has been no weeping or insensibility or Niagara Falls of emotion.  The Zofran helped mute the nausea quite a bit.  And I have an instruction lesson set for Monday with my pastor.

All that good news and hopefulness is disconcerting to me, so I had a hankering to do some organizing, reducing, and donating.




I just knew there was more work that could be done in the utility closet!  I found some more things to discard, three items to donate, and an un-used 25 foot water line for an ice maker that Electrician Man said that he could use.  I worked on the ancient cabinet on the left, too.

After over three years, I also got around to hanging up my fire extinguisher!




If you look carefully at the photo, you will see that it is mostly charged.  Mostly ... because I tested it out to see if it was still working.  A properly hung fire extinguisher is both cockle warming and distress soothing.

In hanging the fire extinguisher, I discovered an added fillip to the installation of the outlet for the freezer.  I was able to plug in the charger for the drill and recharge the battery without leaving it resting on the counter or the dryer in the laundry area or at the GREEN table by the bookshelves (where available outlets are).  I really, really, really like having an outlet in the utility closet and can think of many uses for it, besides charging up my drill.

Whilst working, I did realize that I forgot to ask Becky and her mother if they needed any stacking wire mesh shelving.  As you can see, I still have lots and lots of it, even after filling up the second closet in my bedroom to accommodate my hoodies and men's lounge pants with a bunch of shelves!

Part of my work was to ensure that all the channels are clear since the morrow will be bring both significantly higher temperatures and several inches of rain.  I sent an email to Michelle to check the channel in her closet.  I know that much of Fort Wayne is concerned about flooding.  Since Firewood Man did not get a chance to extend the downspout drainage pipes to sidewalks before the ground froze, I am expecting full channels for at least tomorrow, if not Friday, but I am not worried about flooding.  Instead, I give thanks, again, for whomever thought to design the basement floor the way it is.

Since all my firewood is now gone (SNIFF, SNIFF), I also completely cleaned out the fireplace.  Sometimes with really strong storms, I get some drippage in there.  Firewood Man is going to eventually put a cap on the chimney for me, but he does have this fear of heights.  So, basically, that task has been moved to the very end of all the little things I would like for him to help me with around the house.  I told him that if he would just load me his hammer drill, I would climb out the attic window and walk up to the chimney myself.  He doesn't seem to think that is a good idea.

Anyhow, the lingering tasks before me, since I procrastinated girding my loins on the Logos stuff by cleaning the powder bath, particularly scouring the sink, are to file an appeal of my denial for a tier exception for the Celebrex (to see if it can be less of a co-pay) and to attempt to download the Magellan software to the MAC and then update the maps on Maggie (my GPS).  I would give anything ... even some of my beef stew with beer ... if someone would do this for me. The instructions seem so very complicated.  SIGH.

I also took out the trash and the recycling, only slipping on the ice twice.  To me, it seems like I am doing that task far more frequently than usual.  But I suppose with two people in the house that would be the case.  And, for a while, there were four folk here with things to throw away and recycle.  Anyway, Friday is the bi-weekly recycle collection, so I wanted to ensure the kitchen trash can and the porch bin was emptied.

Is it weird that I am get giddy over the fact that I finally discovered the problem with the calendar and so now get these wonderful reminders every other week about recycling and, thus, no longer have to study the very confusing chart on the city website??

My phone alarms and phone/computer synced calendar beep at me every day, several times a day, telling me to do this and that.  Others might think they are nagging me, but I am so very thankful for the memory helps.  I even have a bi-weekly reminder, now, about watering the plants in the solarium. All the succulents are so very, very happy in there, with all that sunshine despite the cold temperature.  All of them have grown significantly, especially my string of pearls!!!

Sadly, the airing porch door somehow blew open and zapped my giant spotted begonia.  She was sorely afflicted and had to have significant surgery.  I did start rooting the three main stalks I trimmed back to even out her appearance.  Poor thing.  The solarium is supposed to be a safe spot for her.

[Should I mentioned that I figured out how to use my free NASCAR app to put reminders on my calendar of all the upcoming races??  I just got a reminder about the Budweiser Duels that are on tomorrow night!!]

Oh, yes, in between my two naps today, I also thawed out a package of my marinating-in-the-freezer steak for beef jerky.  Maybe I shouldn't try to tackle both cooking the jerky and the Magellan software at the same time??  That would be too much stress, right?  Right??


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

No comments: