Saturday, February 22, 2014

Having my cake...


Yesterday, Marie let me have my cake and eat it, too.

I didn't want to think. I didn't want to plan. I wanted to visit with her and even cook, but did not have the energy to plan for us.  Since I knew she was low on her freezer meals, I proposed that she haul all her groceries over here and cook.  I sweetened the deal by telling Marie that she could choose anything from my freezer to thaw and eat for our lunch.

Yes, I gulped when speaking those words.  You see, I was certain she would choose the beef stew.  Much to my surprise, Marie chose the Vienamese curry.

Since she chose curry, Thursday night I thought I would whip up another double batch of naan dough.  Only, well, I forgot. I forgot that naan is a three-hour rise time.  I started the naan at 11:38 PM and did not remember the rise time until after I started mixing all of the ingredients.  SIGH.

The worst part was that I had to do some crazy quick math, too.  You see, being a bit tired, I did not actually start by reading the recipe.  Instead, I filled a measuring cup with two cups warm water, two teaspoons yeast, and two teaspoons sugar.  It was only after I dumped the activated yeast mixture into my bowl of sifted, flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar that I read the recipe called for 3/4 cup water, not a full cup. I was a half cup too much on my liquid.  I guestimated what I would need to make up with the rest of the ingredients, finished mixing together the dough, covered it, and set it aside.

I confess that, at the two-hour mark, I peeked beneath the damp towel to see if was even rising was taking place.  It was!  WHEW!

Marie was able to make and freeze sixteen servings from three dishes and whip up a batch of cranberry cornbread muffins during her visit.  I had the blessing of her company.  And we both had tasty food ... with naan that was surprisingly light and fluffy despite my measuring mistake.  [Man, that curry is my new favorite chicken dish!!]

Before she left, Marie sang Vespers with me.
Mercy.


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

No comments: