Friday, February 28, 2014

Not so dweeby...


This birthday card was not quite so dweeby, eh?




That's my nephew ... looking at the first image ever taken of him!  Going through all my files and papers and things had an extra sweet payoff.  I only wish I had the same for his older brother.


Sunday night, I watched the Daytona 500 and about near killed myself because I became so agitated when it looked like Dale, Jr. was actually going to win. [He did!] There I was, around midnight, excited over what was happening and yet worried because I was actively trying to remain calm since my heart was doing all sorts of flip flops and thundering in my chest and raging in my ears and thrumming down my arms into my wrists and hands. Over a silly NASCAR race!!   

I felt rather dweeby ... until I found this video.  Perhaps, I am not so dweeby after all!!

I sometimes felt dweeby because I like to send people psalms with their names written in them, the way that I pray them for others.  Apparently, writing people's names into the verses you share with them is not so dweeby after all!!

What remains undetermined, at the moment, is whether or not giddiness over a hoped-for-recipe turning out even better than you imagined filling my entire being and crowding out all thoughts and feelings whenever the subject of said recipe crops up is dweeby.

Since Marie was faced with a grumpy Myrtle two days in a row, I suggested that, before we got to cooking lunch, we make Bacon Cheddar Puffs.  I learned to make those before Marie moved back and thought she might want to add them to her larder.  Plus, who wouldn't want to start a day with bacon?

As for "lunch," if you haven't followed any of my culinary law commands yet,  go out and by the ingredients for Chipotle Chicken Chili right now.  Seriously.  Stop reading, get in your car, and get to shopping.  In fact, you might want to buy enough for a double batch.  Because I am certain that, having tasted your first pot, you will want to make a second.

Yes, I used my magical GREEN cast iron enameled dutch oven pot again.




You may, or may not, want to use as much cheese as I did when you serve up your bowl.  

I forgot to take a photo of both the pot and a bowl without the sour cream and cheddar cheese.  But I did take a good one of the Twice-Baked Sweet Potato with Feta and Sumac:




My note on this recipe is that I would change it to mixing everything into the flesh and leaving the feta as is.  My reasoning for that change is that the feta did not melt the way it has for me in other warm recipes.  Still, I am very thankful to Becky for bringing me sumac.

What was also interesting about this recipe is that Marie recognized the smell of sumac.  We first Googled what it was and then images of it and then where it grows.  Sure enough, it grew where she lived as a little girl, playing in the Narnia she created with her sister.  How cool is that??

I was so very, very, very excited about finally getting to try the chili recipe that I completely forgot to choose a dessert for us to make.  Fortunately, I still have seven options of desserts in my freezer right now.  Marie made do with having another slab of the Double Chocolate Dr Pepper Cake.

Once Marie headed off to work, I called my friend Mary, to have a second chat this week about something on my mind and took her with me to the post office.  I mailed off six packages, some of which have been ready since January.  Mary is actually getting the last stash of teaching materials I found, but I also had two birthday cards and tiny treats and three packages of things from our family's past for some of my relatives.  For my brother's birthday, I pulled out all the photos I have of him from his youth, save for a few that I wanted to keep.  I purposely chose every single one where he was with our father, because the anniversary of my father's death has been hard for all of us.  I believe my brother will like his dweeby card simply for what comes along with it.  He was an adorable little boy, who grew up into a handsome dude.

I came home and texted Celia about the fact that the pads of two of my toes inexplicably really hurt, even just lightly touching the skin, and they were a bit red even though the rest of my foot is rather white ... before turning blue ... whenever exposed to cold air.  The part of me that thinks about how often they are blue wonders if I have skin damage from the Reynaud's flares.  But, after re-watching some Grey's Anatomy, I have diagnosed the problem to be phantom pain from the missing toes I would have had had I not been born into a fallen world.

After feeding Amos his dinner, I showered, worked on getting my feet really warm, and put on the thickest wool socks I have.  Then I set about giving myself a manicure.  Only I forgot. I forgot that I have a symphony performance tomorrow.  




I am fairly certain wearing GREEN nail polish to the symphony might be a tad scandalous ... or at least a bit garish.  I'm not taking it off, though.  After all, the jury is still out about my dweebiness.

How about this?




Dweeby?

I am so thankful to Celia for helping me make a good decision for my well-being.  I have the chief conditions on the back, along with the class of medication that causes cardiac problems, my allergy to latex, and the two medications that are most likely to interact with drugs that might be given me in an emergency.

Finally, is it dweeby that I love that Amos likes to hold on to me even when he is sleeping??




I honestly do not care that his hanging onto my arm makes typing rather difficult.  Yes, I am besotted with my fluffy white puppy dog!


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

No comments: