Friday, February 21, 2014

My take...


My take on the Affordable Healthcare Act (AHA) it that it has not helped me in a single way. In fact, it has only hurt.  Today, I read an article that disheartened me more than any other regarding that wretched piece of legislation.  Seriously??  Seriously, you want to make cuts to a successful program that gives better access to healthcare and makes that healthcare more affordable for those on Medicare???

Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.

Seriously, what a way to crush the chronically ill, the disabled, the poor.

What most people do not seem to know is that those extra coverage plans that you can buy to fill in the gaps of Medicare coverage, Part C plans oft known as Medigap coverage are only available to seniors.  I cannot get any more coverage until I am 65.  Do you want to know what is one of the most ludicrous restrictions I have come across in Medicare?  I am only allowed a cholesterol and lipids blood work panel once every five years.  The leading cause of death for women—more than all cancers combined—is heart disease.  A simple, non-invasive diagnostic tool is only available under coverage every 5 years.  SIGH.

I save thousands of dollars on co-pays and prescriptions by having a Medicare Advantage plan.  Yes, with the increased costs of medical coverage brought about by the AHA, I now have a monthly premium for the prescription coverage, increased prescription co-pays, and a more restrictive formulary.  But I have prescription coverage.

When I stopped by my GP's office the other day, her nurse was commenting on the flood of prior-authorizations they are having to do for all plans, not just Medicare.  I have heard absolutely nothing positive about the AHA from any of the medical personnel and their support staff whom I see.  From my end, it has only made access to medical care more restrictive and more expensive.  Clearly, the disabled on Medicare have no need of affordable health care.

I will say that the one part of the AHA that absolutely boggles my mind was somehow raising the threshold of out-of-pocket medical expenses one must pay before there are any tax deductions is helping make healthcare more affordable.  And, if my math is right, the AHA raised that threshold by 33.33%, from 7.5 percent to 10 percent.  If you want to make healthcare more affordable, LOWER the out-of-pocket spending threshold.  SIGH.

To me, a law with an objective of making healthcare more affordable should not have the end result of making it less affordable for those with healthcare.  Truly, this article about my limited healthcare being next in the crosshairs of the president of our country has left me deeply discouraged and profoundly worried.

As my friend Mary would be saying to me right now:  Come, Lord Jesus.  Come quickly!


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

3 comments:

Caryl said...

It amazes me that you never hear anyone in the media (or otherwise) talking about "out of pocket" costs when it comes to the AHA. NEVER. All you hear about are premiums and, although, yes those are mostly going up for people who previously had insurance, it is the out of pocket costs that are going to wipe people out. I think the AHA is a huge mistake. Huge.

Myrtle said...

Obviously, I agree, Caryl. In my opinion, those crafting the laws have little—if any—understanding of life on a budget or the profound ramifications of their decision-making. I am thankful that at least my out-of-pocket deductible is rather small, so insurance kicks in each year with my first pick-up of prescriptions. Of course, I will be hitting that donut hole four months into the year, since I have so many prescriptions.

Sometimes, people ask me why I don't take medications for MS. The thing is, up until the last time I checked, their history is based in chemo drugs, which have been shown to cause long-term cognitive dysfunction. I had early cognitive dysfunction and therefore refuse to take anything that would further degrade my ability to remain independent and working as long as I did.

However, the truth is ... especially now ... I could not afford to take any of the MS medications now. I am already trying to figure out how I will absorb the cost of either one or both of the two new cardio drugs that the cardiologist discussed, such as something to balance out my blood pressure. I plan on very frankly asking if there is a generic option on my plan when the time comes to make the next medication change.

I know that all I can do is think about today, but with the AHA casting a dark pall over my medical healthcare future, that is hard to do.

Thanks for the support ... the comment, Caryl!

Myrtle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.