Friday, February 03, 2006

"Be undeniably you."

This is the current slogan employed by Lenscrafters. A nice concept. Laudable? You might think so, but I think that as far as the workplace goes...being undeniably you should be the furthest thing from your mind.

I know that I always seem to walk a half step behind others. Somehow I missed how to be a human being in my formative years. I know that. I know that I am a wallflower, one who shines best one on one. I know that I am near a failure at mingling. Small talk is not a virtue of mine. That is who I undeniably am.

But I do work well one-on-one. I treat others with respect. I do not give back like for like. I work well with strangers who have no expectations of me. I work hard. I work smart. I work with a passion for service and the good of the company. I think about how all fits together and purse what is best for not just my portion of the company, but for the whole. I multi-task with the best of them. I am efficient and often accomplish a sheer prodigious amount of work. That is who I undeniably am.

But the latter part of me seems not to matter in light of the former.

Why can I not be undeniably me? Why can other not see me as the talented but awkward person I am and spot me a bit of grace?

No, do not be undeniably you. To do so is the path of failure. Rather, twist and turn yourself into a mirror of everyone else. Entrench yourself in the office "game." Take every opportunity to advance yourself over others. Abandon intellectual honesty. Strive for no more than mediocrity. Do this...and you will succeed.

No comments: