Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I haven't been to the grocery store in a month and eating at home was pretty slim pickin's. I've been too tired to eat and sometimes ignoring my own hunger. So, I determined to go to the store this evening on the way home from work.

While I wondered how I would shop with my cane, I shouldn't have. God provided. This kind Safeway man followed me around, pushing the cart and pulling items. He even loaded my car. Too bad I couldn't take him home with me since most of my groceries are still sitting in the cargo area. What surprised me most is that he didn't bat an eyelash as asking him to pack the cart with two gallons of milk, six packs of Dr. Pepper, twelve packs of spring mix salad, five bottles of Gatorade, two packs of bakery cookies, a small sized carrot cake, two packs of steak, and one of chicken. The cashier raised an eyelid once or twice as the items were sliding past him, but he also wisely held his tongue.

I do believe that my thirst and fatigue influenced my choices a bit. Slap a bit of meat on the grill, toss a bit of greenery in a bowl, and I have a meal complete with a cookie for dessert.

I wonder how many days it will take me to bring in the rest of the groceries one load at a time...

No comments: