Friday, February 24, 2006

A short while after I awoke, I was standing in the bathroom and suddenly buckled over in pain. I felt as if someone was stabbing a hot knife into my neck at the base of my skull. My breakfast shortly went into the toilet and I found myself shivering and sweating because of the pain radiating in my neck and shoulders.

Since I had to take my car to visit the insurance adjustor at 11:00, I had planned to work from home in the morning. I struggled to concentrate and yet was thankful for something, anything, on which to focus aside from how badly I was hurting.

When I arrived at the collision center, I took a rather long time actually getting to her desk because I didn't want to have to make a side visit to the nearest trash can. She asked if I was okay, I told her that I have MS and that it was just a particularly bad day. She responded in compassion and concern because her friend's husband has MS and she understand what I meant. She offered me a drink while I was waiting. Marvel of marvels, this northern company actually had Dr. Pepper.

It is no small wonder the ways that God cares for me.

I was fretting about the hassle of getting my car repaired and I have insurance that makes it virtually a one-stop-shopping experience. I wouldn't have this insurance if my other company had not abruptly dropped me because of an accident after having 21 years of a clean record. I was writhing in pain and feeling so weak and yet He strengthened me with the compassion of a stranger.

Later on, while at work, struggling to concentrate and even talk while helping someone do something that was not really my job, and not receiving an ounce of compassion, I was reminded of the gift of that half hour with a woman named Katie who walks the path of kindness.

Still, I do not choose pain, I would not choose pain, and my tears might be laced with a wee bit of self pity just now. Neither Tylenol nor Motrin are staying the knife. As tired as I am, I know that sleep will not be a close companion this night.

No comments: