Friday, June 09, 2006

I have been schlepping about on the boot cast for just over a week now. Doing so is getting old.

No one at work has made any attempt to help me get around or assist with things I am doing. In fact, at the awards luncheon on Monday, I had to lug three boxes of collateral, three 24"x36" display boards, and the display frame all by myself. These two men who came upon me in the parking garage stopped me to help. They asked what company I was with that would send a cripple to do the set-up. I changed the subject with my effusive thanks. Then today, this man, who was getting his briefcase from the car, spotted me going to the door and called to me to wait. At first, I didn't understand him and kept on walking. He then abandoned collecting this things together to come over and open both glass doors. It does hurt to push off with my bag leg to get the doors open, but I never failed to understand that he was trying to help.

I know my boss, if she were to read this, would say all I have to do is ask.

However...I have asked. I am usually greeted with hesitation or remarks they the person has other things to do. Why should one person, in a company of 65, be responsible for the set up and break down of events? I will be working and staff will just stand around me. Lending a helping hand is absolutely not a trait common to anyone I have encountered at work.

I nearly cried when I realized this stranger was going out of his way to help me. I wish I had help more often. I wish things just weren't so difficult.

No comments: